Chapter Twelve

Rayne's Pov

"Law... L-Leave... I need ta... speak with her... alone." Oz coughs.

"I'm not going anywhere, if you relapse and I'm not there then that will be the end."

"Go-." He starts coughing, "I dun... give... a damn..."

Law gives Oz a hard look, "This is the only time I'm going to forgive you for ordering me around." He walks out of the room, shutting the door behind him. Oz is still silent a few seconds longer. My heart is beating in my throat, why am I so nervous about this?

"Darlin..." He mutters.

I grip his hand tighter, "I'm here Oz, what is it that you need to tell me?"

"I wan... I want ya... ta do me a favor."

"What is it? Do you want me to go and get you something or-."

"Listen!" He wheezes and I immediately shut up. His breathing is labored as it is. Sweat is trailing down his temple and he's getting even paler. It's making me nervous. 

"I want... ya ta look out... fer Law. He's not... got his head on... straight."

"Huh? What do you mean?"

Oz coughs again, "C'mon darlin... even ya can see... it. He's so wrapped up... in gettin... revenge that... that he's not... not thinkin straight. I want ya... ta look out fer em... he needs ya."

"Oh Oz, you didn't even need to ask! Do you really think that I'll leave him? Law and you guys are my family, I'm not going to abandon you guys. I give my word on that."

"G-good... I could jus... see in yer eyes... that ya were driftin. I jus... I want ta let ya know... we got yer back... darlin. Yer one o' us... I mean it."

"Oz, you're getting worse, you need to rest now."

"No... I need... ta tell ya... one more thing."

"No seriously, Oz, just rest. You can tell me again later." I try to get up to hopefully end the conversation but he lunges and grabs my wrist. It's then that everything goes to hell.

His breathing picks up and the heart monitor goes wild. "Oz!" His eyes are wild, looking around as blood starts to seep out of his eyes, nose, and ears. He sounds like he's choking on blood as well. His body starts to convulse and his limbs lock up, one hand still gripping my wrist. 

"Law! Law get in here!" I scream desperately while trying everything to at least stop the bleeding. 

Law slams through the door with Penguin on his heels. Both of them take a second to assess the situation before springing into action. Law comes over and immediately engages his 'room'. The blue sphere goes around us and he has a scalpel in hand. 

Penguin is rushing over with ointments, bandages, and the rack of surgical tools. He joins the fray and they both hurriedly suit up into surgical dress. Law starts to open up Oz's respiratory system and Penguin pries Oz's hand off of my wrist. I stumble back but regain my standing. I pull on some gloves to help them but Law holds a hand up. 

"Come on Rayne, just go wait outside." Penguin says. 

I feel anger running through me, "No! I've helped in dozens of surgeries before, I'm not going to leave him!"

"Rayne leave, you're emotionally compromised and not thinking straight. You'll end up doing more harm than good." Penguin takes my arms once again and starts to steer me toward the exit to the infirmary. 

"No! Penguin let me go right now! If you don't let me go then I'll never forgive you!"

"Miss Rayne, shut the hell up and get out of the infirmary now!" Law yells.