Chapter Twenty-Seven

Law

If there was one word to describe Punk Hazard, dismal was a good place to start.

Law glided around the base soundlessly. He wandered from room to room restless and annoyed. He wasn't finding much out with Caesar's research and he was beginning to get annoyed at the lack of progress. Not to mention his own research gathering was not going well. Dismal was perhaps an understatement for his current situation upon second thought.

"Oh Laaaawwww~!" 

 Not to mention that damn harpy wouldn't leave him alone. 

Weaving through the hallways Law made it back to his room alone in record time. He locked the door behind him before flicking on the heater beside his bed. This cold was something that he was slowly becoming accustomed to. Curling up into his warm bed Law allowed his thoughts to stray back to Rayne and what she was doing at the moment. He hoped that once this was all over she would be over a majority of her anger. If nothing else at least enough to see the reason in why he left her like he did. 

Though it seemed he would have to steal her back from the Kid Pirates Crew first. Damn Eustass and his sticky fingers. What the hell happened that resulted in Rayne joining his goddamn crew?

Banging on his door brought the man from his thoughts though he wasn't keen to open. After all it would just be the damn harpy trying to get into his pants again and unlike other times he wasn't keen to tease her. 

Reaching into his pocket Law pulled out a creased photo. It was one of the crew and Rayne. It was perhaps one of his favorite pictures only because everyone was happy then. Rayne had her arms thrown around his neck as she leaned her head on his smiling. Penguin, Shachi, and the twins had stupid expressions on for the camera while Oz was seen grinning beneath his hat next to Bepo while the rest of the crew made silly faces. Hell, even he had a smirk on his lips at the time this was taken. It was perhaps one of the last happy memories he had of the crew before everything went to hell. 

"Law! Open the damn door! I need you!" Monet yelled. 

Law folded up his picture and shoved it back in his pocket. Turning over on his side he closed his eyes ready for a small nap. Nothing was ever done well when one was sleep deprived. 

"God dammit Law!"

Rayne

"Come on Beezus, show me how to do that crazy karate stuff!" I whined. 

The fishman gave me an uncomfortable look. 

"Fishman Karate isn't easy to learn Rayne. It takes months of practice."

Killer appeared out of nowhere and bopped me on the head, "You should be resting." He said. 

"Come on, seriously, it's been a week since that attack. I think I'm out of the woods, don't you?"

I could imagine the look he was giving me from behind that mask. Somehow over the course of a week Killer had turned into my nanny of sorts. It was like everywhere I looked he was right there making sure I wasn't doing anything detrimental to my health. It ranged from going around visiting in town to see all of the little market stalls to even going around on the ship. It was getting so bad that at one point I told him that if he kept following me around I was going to melt his mask into scrap metal. 

He backed off after that. Slightly. 

"If you're fine then let's fight." I turned around to see Kid sitting on the railing of the ship. 

That was the other thing that had changed in the past week. Kid had been less awful to me. He quit threatening me after every move I made and in some cases we were able to work well together. It seemed that in saving his life some sort of mutual respect had been formed between the two of us.