Chapter Eleven

Rayne's Pov

I stay with Oz only a little while longer before getting up and exiting the infirmary. I skirt around Law and slam the door behind me. I can't believe that there's nothing we can do to save him. It's scary to be honest and this was just shitty timing. After everything before, with Vein, then this now it pisses me off. I slam my closed fist into the wall and gasp out at the pain erupting into my hand and up my arm.

"Shit." I gasp.

"Rayne, what was that for?" Shachi comes over and grabs up my hand, inspecting it for any damage beyond a new bruise.

"It's nothing, I just need to get away, I'm fine." I take my hand away from him and head off towad the room. For now it's not good for me to be around people. I need to be alone. Slamming the door behind me I lock it and lay down on the bed. This is just too much right now, stupid fucking hormones, I swear.

Closing my eyes I try and just go to sleep. Maybe if I just sleep everything will be better when I wake up. 

Maybe.

I breathe in and out over and over trying to calm my mind down and slip down into sleep. Unfortunately after just waking up not too long ago I'm not that tired at all. In fact I feel restless, like if I lay here I'll suddenly combust.

After a few more minutes I sigh and get to my feet, perhaps I'll go read in the library. That should calm me down. Tossing open the door I take the short jaunt over to the library. Coming into the room I shut the door behind me and peruse the books, running a finger over their won spines.

Not a single book in this library is new. I like that, it shows character.

Stopping on one particular title I tap it a few times. Finally I take it out of the bookshelf and go over to the desk that is set toward the back of the room. Plopping down in the chair I open the book to see the table of contents about nothing other than devil fruits. 

I found devil fruits to be one of my favorite subjects. The fact that they even exist and only one unique fruit grows at a time is amazing. Then there's the way that they affect the body, amazing power yet pathetic resistance to sea water. It just doesn't make sense at all. Why are they even here? 

I thumb through the pages and for some reason I come across a page that makes me stop altogether. It's not of a devil fruit I particularly know but something about just this page that makes something in the back of my head itch. The more I study the page the worse it gets, soon enough it's bothering me so much that I feel like I'm staring holes through the page.

"C'mon just give me the book! You promised me that you would bring me a new one!"

I gasp and manage to tear my eyes away from the page. My heart is racing a million miles an hour. What the hell is happening? That voice I just heard was definitely mine. I bite my bottom lip, should I even attempt that again? Eventually the curiosity takes over. "Just once more.." I murmur and look back at the page. 

Once again that feeling comes over me. Like this... like there's something going on that I should know about.

"Alright, alright. Just calm down and you can have your book. Though... I doubt you can read it. This may be too hard for you." 

A large smile comes to my mind along with that voice. It's crazy and I don't know who the hell it belongs to but that voice was definitely a man's voice. Or... well... it was a guys voice at least. He didn't sound too awfully old. 

"Rayne, what are you doing?"

I look up and see Law standing there. I frown, "...Reading. Why are you here?"