Door 1 - Chapter 9 - Expectations

The next day, with one last look at the house and the beach beyond the glass doors, Harris left. He was intent on reforming his past and that meant treating everyone with gratitude. 

He found himself at his apartment.

As he pushed the door open, dust swirled in the air, the furniture looked worn out, and considerable darkness was what he came back to. Yet, for Harris, this sight was more beloved to him than any free luxurious beach houses he could get. He was home. At night he eased onto his couch, with a bowl of ice cream in his hands, it was at that point when he heard a knock. He found the person he'd least expect on his doorstep.

"Bob?" He asked surprised, the large hat poked itself at the door, and the man underneath it looked at him ashamed. "What're you doing here?"

"I saw you getting into your car today."

"Okay... that doesn't answer why you're here."

"Err, the thing is, son. I came by to ask you what the name of your company is."

"I told you last night."

"Yeah, but I had a few drinks in me and when that happens I couldn't very well tell you the names of my boys much less your company."

"I do have a few cards on me," said Harris pulling his wallet out of his pocket. "Here, take a few extra, just in case."

"Thanks, well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow then."

Harris nodded in farewell. He had almost snapped the door shut when he saw Bob lingering in the hallway, apparently having no intention to go home.

"Hey, Bob," he called out, thinking this might as well be an opportunity to acquaint each other. "If you don't have anywhere to be, you're welcome to come in."

"All right, then," Bob said quickly rushing in as if wanting to accept the offer before it was rescinded. Harris closed the door and turned around to find Bob already making himself comfortable on his couch.

"I see you waste no time in accustoming yourself."

"That I don't. So, what were you doing before I stopped by?"

"Watching an old movie."

"Do you mind changing it? I just don't want to watch it."

"All right... I guess," Harris said switching the channel.

The intention he had with inviting Bob in was to brief him on his duties. However, so far he hadn't shown interest in much of what Harris had to say. There was a lot he'd need to do to prepare this negligent man for the job, much less make Harris – his soon-to-be boss – go on a beer run for him. It was nearing midnight when the ball game Bob had been watching ended. However, he simply switched to another channel.

"Don't you have to be going home?" Harris asked irritably.

"Sure... in a minute."

"Bob!" said Harris to get his attention, Bob, meanwhile, gave no further indication of having heard him. Harris pushed on without much success, Bob waved his hand away. "BOB!" He shouted.

"What?" asked Bob annoyed. "I was trying to watch the game."

"You're at my home at midnight. Shouldn't you have gone by now?"

"Relax, son. I just wanted to have a few beers, and take it easy."

"You're not supposed to be 'taking it easy,'" Harris mimicked him. "You're supposed to be preparing for tomorrow."