Door 4 - Chapter 52 - Genius

"You want to join in?" Huey asked Harris as he and Zafina played another game of 20 Questions.

"I'm good, thanks."

"Come on, sulking around doesn't seem like that much fun," said Zafina in response.

"It's getting a little late, let's stop and get something to eat." Harris ignored her.

They headed to a restaurant – they'd arrived in a small town located in the desert – the majority of the customers were families.

"You should've seen us at those diners, we hustled those guys like it was nothing." Huey bragged proudly, giving Harris a fist bump.

"Don't worry, I've got the money now, no need for such drastic measures."

"Too bad, I could've gotten us served for free," said Zafina.

"Is that so? Then why don't you show us?" Huey challenged her.

"We really don't need to see you embarrass yourself," said Harris.

"Fine, I'll do it. Just dare me to."

"Okay, we dare you." Huey took her up on the challenge.

"If I succeed then you two have to do whatever I say."

Zafina headed over to the maître'd, saying something unintelligible from where Harris and Huey were sitting. Not even a minute later she had returned.

"So, I win."

"You didn't do anything."

Sure enough, there was no bill waiting for them after a huge meal that Zafina ordered for them, and they walked out without paying a single cent.

"How did you do that?" Huey asked amazed.

"If you're good at something, never give it away." Zafina winked at him. "Now, time for me to exercise control on you two."

As they had agreed, the two of them had to do whatever she wanted, and this turned out to be riding the arcade motorbikes made for children younger than the age of five. Harris and Huey sat exasperatedly along with the rest of the toddlers while Zafina giggled at them, a camera in hand.

As soon as he saw her, Harris sprang up and snatched the camera – realizing it was his sister's – from her hand and went back to the car, his mood evaporating. 

Huey and Zafina joined him a few minutes later. It was clear that Huey had told her about his sister by then. Harris chose to break the silence.

"Sorry, but some things should just be private."

"So your plan is to never use that camera?" Zafina asked.

"We're going back to private territory here."

Harris knew he had made matters escalate far out of proportion. The car was now filled with an uneasy silence that everyone could feel. But the only thing that would have tested his patience had happened. It didn't help that he was fully aware of Zafina's analytical eyes zeroing in on him from behind. But seeing Huey's crestfallen face melted the irritation away.

"What was it that you said about that wishing well?" he asked, and instantly, the boy's face lit up.

Harris was certain the wishing well would turn out to be another letdown like the tortoise race; he approached the entrance with skepticism. Zafina didn't seem particularly excited either while Huey's face displayed slight apprehension mingled with hope. The instant they stepped into the vicinity, though, all their doubts were extinguished.