Door 2 - Chapter 24 - Goodbye

He had not meant to intrude – neither had he wanted to be parading around while Jake broke the news of Sergio's death – but it was impossible to look away when the only true sign of emotion was in front of him. 

Adra expectedly fell to tears. Now Harris was reminded of how genuinely distraught a person's reaction was in light of suffering the loss of a loved one, summoning the distant memories of his own life.

Jake could only watch as Adra collapsed on the ground, perhaps finding it difficult to comfort her considering his involvement in contributing to Sergio's death. However, not long after, matters were made worse in the form of the little boy Harris had encountered before. Unlike his mother, the boy retained the same rebellious look, despite the fact that he couldn't have been more than twelve years of age.

Before he knew it, Harris found himself huddled inside the Helicopter Plaza – as the place had been named – listening in on the itinerary of the central boulevard. There was no permanent person in charge. 

Rescue helicopters would radio in their arrival, at which point the current person in charge would evacuate alongside the selected group of people. Until the next rescue round, another group searched for food or other necessities. As they had only just arrived, Jake and Harris were excluded from evacuation.

But the troubling news was the knowledge that Adra and Salem were part of the scavenger group for the next round. Even more surprising was the fact that the little boy was wholeheartedly in favor of it and had already been prepared. 

Jake's desperate attempts to convince the people otherwise proved futile. Adra herself couldn't be convinced; apparently, Salem was much too adamant. He'd taken the news of his father's death much better than his mother. The boy had shed a few tears before hardening up and firmly joining the others to finalize the scavenging plan. 

In the hours that had followed, Jake's efforts to communicate with Salem hadn't been reciprocated; the child had evidently decided upon getting over it quickly, something Harris found difficult to understand. He had been at the mercy of time in order to get over his own loss.

The night passed away in discomfort. Harris found it unsettling being among many people after so long and was having a hard time shaking away the feeling that something big was imminent. He went over by the barriers for a walk and found Adra there, staring wistfully in the distance.

"I suppose I have to get used to this now," she said after a few moments.

"I'm sorry," said Harris.

"A big part of me already knew he wasn't with us anymore. I never said it to anyone because it felt easier to lie to myself."

"I know the feeling."

"I can see that you do... who was it?" Adra asked slowly, easily making out Harris's melancholy.

"Does it matter?"

"I suppose not, we all lose people..." She wiped her eyes against her sleeves. "Did-did he suffer?"

"No, he didn't. It was over soon. He remembered you both even then."

Adra wept while listening to him. Although she composed herself relatively quickly.

"That's the hope, isn't it? To see your family in your time of dying, we weren't there but I'm sure he saw us. I pray to God he did."

"If I could wish for you to have one last goodbye with him I would."

"I wouldn't want to meet him only to know he'd be gone the next moment," Adra said, her cries ceasing. 

"But you never got to say goodbye, never got to see him again."