Door 1 - Chapter 5 - The Stranger

The first rays of dawn crept in. Harris yawned widely as he stretched, opening the curtains to let all of the sunlight in, bathing the room in its blaze. After so long he had woken to welcome the morning sun; he'd never thought this would happen again. He left the room, wiping a tear trickling out his eye as he did so.

After cleaning up, he approached the top of the stairs and, on an impulse, jumped high, managing to hit the ground without using any of the steps.

Harris went out for his stroll around the seashore, smelling the early morning scent. Danny and Jennifer approached him from the other end.

"Hey there, neighbor," said Danny cheerfully. "Beautiful morning."

"The best," said Harris with equal cheerfulness.

"Out for a jog?" asked Jennifer.

"What gave me away?" Harris joked. "And I'm guessing the lovely couple's going out for breakfast?"

"What gave us away?" asked Danny, laughing.

"Want some company?"

"Only if we don't run all the way over there this time?"

"Oh, forget it then", said Harris sarcastically, making them laugh again.

"Well if that's what it takes to get you to come along, then let's go, mister", said Danny, pretending to get ready for a race.

"Well, two against one doesn't sound fair to me," said Harris, sending the couple laughing again.
"An I get the feeling there's no separating you guys."

Jennifer squeezed Danny's arm with affection.

"That's nice of you to say," she said. "So is there a Mrs. Harris?"

"I'm all by myself. Let's get breakfast for now, shall we?" Harris said. "Where to, though?"

"Where else?"

"The Corner Inn? We went there yesterday."

"Yeah and it's great, we think it's homey."

"Well, I guess we could go there again," said Harris as they made their way out of the beach.

"What will it be, fellas?" The barman asked as they entered.

"The usual, Curt," said Danny.

"Sunny side up it is", Curt said and disappeared into the kitchen.

"Like yesterday?" asked Harris, "Don't want to try something else?"

"It's the best they have on the menu," said Jennifer, laughing.

"Yeah, but I like to try different things."

"Actually I ordered for you too," said Danny, "I figured you'd want the same you had yesterday."

"Uh, okay then," said Harris, rather taken aback. This was a bit forward for Danny to place his order for him. But maybe Harris had made himself feel welcome yesterday and this might be their way of being familiar, he thought. Once they'd finished with their meal, he got up to leave, though thought to ask the couple if they'd want to join.

"No, it's alright," said Jennifer. "We'll stay back here."

"What're you guys going to do? Breakfast's over."

"We're going to do pretty much the same today."

"Um, okay then," said Harris, turning around slowly, he heard the sounds of laughter as he went out.