Door 4 - Chapter 54 - The Two of Us

Huey had his eye on both of them the next day, but he had a good reason to. Zafina had been extra cordial to Harris since morning, something he reciprocated. The two of them were far more formal with one another than ever before.

"We're going to take a few days longer because of Zafina's suggestion. What do you think about that?" Huey asked Harris over breakfast.

"It's fine," replied Harris with a casual wave of his hand. However, Huey squinted with suspicion.

"We didn't have pancakes like you wanted. How do you feel about that, Zafina?" He asked.

"It's okay, I'll make do with this omelet," she smiled genially at Harris who smiled back politely.

"Very good. I think I saw one of those birds you wanted to photograph before," said Huey to Harris, pointing outside. "Come on, let's check it out."

Huey practically pulled Harris out of the restaurant before turning to him quickly.

"Where's the arguing? What happened?"

"It's the same, you're just bored, I think," said Harris shiftily.

"I know you're lying. You two like each other. don't you?" Huey clapped his hands triumphantly. 

"What? Don't be ridiculous. Let's just eat and be on our way."

But Huey had a smug expression on his face for the rest of breakfast. Harris avoided looking at him while Zafina merely seemed to wonder why they were behaving oddly. The truth was that Huey was somewhat right. 

The previous night was different than any other. They had talked deeply, and Zafina had poured out more of what she felt. Harris shared the troubles of his own past; he wanted to alleviate her from the pressure of letting her guard down. But it had evolved into something more -- an easiness that was hard to explain.

Harris had had a similar experience with Roslin, although this time round there wasn't a latent coping with grief. Sharing with Zafina was more about the future after they'd faced their past. They were both unsure and talking to each another didn't make it seem as difficult as it could be.

Now with those moments gone just as the night had, he felt a slight trepidation; he wondered if they would revert to how they used to interact. Huey had noticed this. Harris hoped he hadn't overheard the parts where they had discussed him. Zafina had tried to convince Harris again to take care of Huey himself instead of taking him back to his uncle.

From what he'd heard of the uncle, he sounded like a pretty irresponsible guardian. But Harris remembered he'd once thought badly of his own father – he realized, later on, that this wasn't true – and gave the uncle the benefit of the doubt. Huey, after all, was still a child, and there was no guarantee that he was remembering him right.

"A rave at this time? And I thought I'd seen everything once I met you two," said Zafina.

"It looks awesome! Let's check it out." Huey suggested delightedly.

As the crowd was already blocking much of the road, it didn't seem a bad idea. The field was enormous, and the number of attendees had to be in the thousands. The loud, blaring music rang as the people moved to its rhythm. It was a sight of wonder.

"And of course, he starts clicking away," Zafina commented as Harris began his usual routine with the camera. "Huey, what are you doing?"

"What? They pulled me in first." Huey danced in between two rather skimpily dressed women. Although she had a disapproving look on her, Zafina laughed as she pulled Huey away.