Chapter 8. Lies

It took six EMTs and two teachers – Mr Varner and Coach Clapp – to shift the van jar enough away from us to bring the stretches in. I would have helped, but I’ve already attracted Edward’s attention and he was eyeing me, suspiciously. Edward vehemently refused his, and I tried to do the same, but the crowd insisted, they wanted to ensure I wasn’t hurt. Wow, I thought to myself. Was I really loved that much? Good thing I escaped the neck brace. It looked like the entire school was there, watching soberly as they loaded me in the back of the ambulance. Edward got to ride in the front.

I saw his family, looking on from the distance, with expressions that ranged from disapproval to shock. Great. They saw my heroine act of stopping the van. It was 5 to 0 and they were on the lead. I sighed internally.

When we reached the hospital, they put me in the emergency room, a long room with a line of beds separated by pastel-patterned curtains. Lisa was my nurse; she put a pressure cuff on my arm and a thermometer under my tongue.

She asked, in a low voice, her eyes questioning and some hints of concern,” What happened?”

I pulled out the thermometer in my mouth and whispered in uninterested monotone voice, “A van nearly crashed me to ‘death’, but I managed to stop it. Yippee.” I put a sarcastic tone in the word death.

“You stopped the van?” she almost said it out loud, but whispered again. “Are you crazy? Someone must have seen it.”

“No. No one saw it,” she looked relieved, but I continued. “Except for one.”

She gave me the sharp look and put her hands on her hips, waiting for an explanation. She looked like a mother looking for answers from her son on why he broke a vase.

“Edward Cullen.” She relaxed her stare and sighed in relief. She nodded, understandingly.

“How?”

“He stopped it as well. He came to me and stopped it.”

“Have you told him?”

“No, I’m still looking for the right time,” I sighed. She leaned on the side of the bed.

“You’re okay, right?”

I raised an eyebrow at her, with the of-course-I-am look. How can a vampire not be okay?

“Don’t breathe.” Lisa instructed. I was confused but I followed.

There was another flurry of hospital personnel, another stretcher brought to the bed next to me. Tyler Crowley had bloodstained bandages wrapped tightly around his head. Lisa checked on him. Now I know why she told me not to breathe.

“Bella, I’m so sorry!”

“I’m fine Tyler – you look awful, are you alright?” I said to him, clearly though, my mouth under my arms which was only covering my nose. As we spoke, the nurses, and Lisa, began unwinding his soiled bandages, exposing a myriad of shallow slices all over his forehead and left cheek. I took my eyes away from him.

He ignored me. “I thought I was going to kill you! I was going too fast and I hit the ice wrong...” He winced as one nurse, Lisa, started dabbing at his face.

“Don’t worry about it; you missed me.”

“How?”

“Umm, Edward Cullen pulled me out of the way and... I, no we escaped,” I lied.

“How....?” he asked, unsure on what he was hearing.

“He was standing beside me.”

“I didn’t see him... wow, it was all so fast, I guess. Is he okay?”