Chapter 13. Bad night

I got home immediately after talking to Lisa. She didn't really help; actually, she kind of annoyed me.

The phone was ringing the moment I stepped in to my house. It was Mike. He asked, with obvious concern and worry, about what happened to me. I just told him I was sick. He also asked if I was still going to the campfire which was in two days. I just said yes. I would probably be okay by then. Hopefully.

I hunted after he called, taking about three hours.

I wasn't really focused on anything other than my hunt. In that moment, all that mattered to me was the sweet blood of the animal which quenched my thirst. But it didn't smell that way anymore. I wanted something better. Human blood. I wanted to try it, but I would forever hate myself if I did so.

I hunted more animals, trying to stop this craving. It did though, but only a little.

That night I searched for the future, double-checking just in case a teacher was going to do blood typing or something like that again. Fortunately, nothing like that was going to happen, though it would be sunny so I would have to be absent tomorrow.

I spent all my day hunting the next day. Lisa didn't go to work either, but she went out with Carter to wherever. The craving had finally ceased after hunting more than eight mountain lions. I even ran to somewhere in Vancouver just to continue my hunt. Mountain lions might be near extinction because of me. But they were my favorite.

It was already past midnight when I got back to Forks. I slowed my running a little. The cold breeze was so relaxing. I thought of my conversation with Lisa the other day at the hospital as I walked, how I had declined to go home even though I had the chance. It was because I was still waiting for the right time to tell him the truth. Not just the truth about me being a vampire and that I knew about him, but also the confession of my feelings for him.

I didn't know if I could hold it in any longer. I had to tell him one day, even if he didn't return the same feelings. He had the right to know, didn't he?

I snapped back to reality when I heard someone coming. I recognised the scent--it was Edward.

I quickly ran further away from him and climbed up a tree. I could see him and a few seconds later, he slowed down to a stop. No, they slowed down to a stop. It felt like my unbeating heart froze.

He was with another woman, a vampire. All I could see of her was her long strawberry-blond hair, and they were laughing.

Edward's laugh was like music to my ears. How I wished I was the one laughing with him. His laugh faded to a sigh, and he said, "Tanya..."

Tanya was probably the woman he was with. She also sighed. There was silence, but she walked closer to Edward and placed her right hand on his cheek.

"I've told you before...." She cut him off by placing her index finger on his lips.

She finally said," I know, I know." Edward sighed again, then a few seconds later he nodded.

"Thank you," Tanya said again and gave him a hug. Edward returned the hug after kissing her cheek the same time Tanya did his.

My heart felt like it was shattered to pieces, and a tear flowed down my cheeks. Clearly, Edward didn't return my feelings; he already had somebody. Another tear flowed down my cheeks and I quickly wiped it away. Why should I cry for him?

They broke apart then, and I heard Edward say," Let's go?"

I heard her smile and they ran off to wherever they ran from. I jumped down the tree and ran home, trying to fight tears, but I failed. They flowed endlessly as I ran. I hate love! I hate it! I knew that it was possible that he didn't love me back, but why hadn't I been ready for that? And now I was crying hot tears for my mistake and carelessness.