Chapter 13: Almost Busted

Hannah:

"So, shitface. What is that about?" Louis stated curiously before he sipped his strawberry milkshake when we sat down at a glass table. I sighed, shaking my head. And here I thought he wouldn't bring it up.

"I fell in mud while auditioning for cheerleading. It's already online if you're interested to see."

"I don't, I was just asking. Did you offend her?"

"Not that I know of." I stirred my chocolate drink with the straw.

"You were probably good, and she got jealous."

"I was, but she's the captain. I'm not. Anyway, I'm over it. What kind of books do you like to read?" I changed the subject quickly.

"I love the Harry Potter series," he answered.

"Really? Me too! Did you like the movies?"

"I did, but the movies cut most of the stuff from the books."

"Very true, most Hollywood movies do that. It's copyright laws. Likeness rights. Even though they bought the likenesses from the author. weird." I shook my head.

"I know." He agreed.

"Have you thought about joining any sports or clubs?" I asked.

"I'm thinking of joining Lacrosse," he answered, sipping more of his strawberry milkshake.

"Oh?" I didn't peg him for a lacrosse player. His body was leaner than the lacrosse players on the team.

"Yeah, I used to play in Florida."

"Wow, the school has a great team. I think we're number four in the state."

"If I join, will you come to my games?" He smirked.

"Maybe," I shrugged.

"I'll take that as a yes." I laughed, biting my bottom lip. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, Charlie texted me. I held rolling my eyes, took him long enough to contact me. Texting back and forth, he responded that he had a cold. Now I felt guilty.

"Who are you texting?" Louis asked abruptly.

"Oh, my mom. My parents are out of town. She was telling me that they're going to bed," I lied while pocketing my phone. It became easier to lie when it came to Charlie. I would see him later on.

"Do you need any company if you're alone?"

"My uncle is over there. He's my guardian. I can't have many guests over. Only for studying." He nodded and gave a disappointed smile. An awkward silence grew between us, I sipped most "It's getting late. Um, do you still want to stay?"

"We can go now if you want," he said. We got up and exited the mall and entered his car. I enjoyed my time with Louis. I wanted to pay for my own but his typical male mentality offered to pay for everything. I didn't want him to think it was a date, I brought my own money for a reason.

Minutes later, he dropped me off in front of my house, "I'll see you at school," I told him.

"See ya at school," he said. He drove off. I made my way to my front door, opening it with my house keys.

"Uncle Rob?!" I yelled out. No one responded. I placed my backpack on the ground, looked around for any signs if he was here. Heading to the kitchen, I saw a pot on the stove. I checked if it was still hot with the back of my hand. It was warm, warmer than it's supposed to be. Opening the lid, the contents were chicken noodle soup. There was a note on the counter. Unfolding it read: Went to your aunt's house, saved you some soup. I'll be home soon. Call if you need anything.- Uncle Robert. I guess I could reheat it. Just hope it wasn't salty, uncle had an obsession with salt whenever he cooked. I always told him that it will cause hypertension, he claimed that he's healthy as a horse and will never happen.

I could stay and wait for him, but Charlie wanted me to come over. How was I gonna get there without being seen? Pursing my lips, I thought of my options: Risk it or stay at home? I did miss him today. Risk it. I grabbed my house keys, and the vapor rub from the cabinet, leaving my house and began walking to Charlie's. It was only a fifteen-minute walk, I could use the exercise and prayed no one familiar spotted me.

***

Since I'm a fast walker, I made it there in ten minutes. His three leveled house coming in view, I approached the backyard. I texted Charlie that I was here. I heard a car engine, looking back there was a car parked at the edge of the road. The headlights were low, it sat there for a few seconds before it reversed. Who the hell? I shook my head from my thoughts and looked up, Charlie came out of his house and moved closer. His nose was red, glassy eyes and was still in his pajamas. "Hi." I replaced my frown with a smile.

"You ok?" he wondered, keeping a distance from me.

"Huh? Yeah, I thought I saw someone," I told him.

"Who?" His voice scruff and low.

"I don't know. So you really are sick?"

"You thought I was lying?"

"You didn't call or anything. My first thought was you were at practice but I didn't see you at all."

"The cold sprung up on me when I woke up this morning." We heard another engine rumble, he pulled me into the house quickly. It could have been anyone, we were almost busted.

"I brought the vapor rub." I pulled it out of my pocket with a wide smile.

"Oh, you were serious?" He asked.

"Yeah, you said you were congested." I unscrewed the top, instructing him to lie down on the and unbutton the top of his shirt. I took a glob of the substance, massaging it softly in the middle of his chest. I met his eyes, he smiled. This was nice. "How does that feel?"

"Good," he said, caressing my arm. "I'm glad you came over."

"Me too. I missed you today."

"I did too. I love seeing you." He flicked my nose. I smiled, the butterflies in my stomach fluttered again. Love. Wait, was the love friendly or more? Even though this was a nice moment, he was still sick and I was still overthinking all of this. I looked around his living room, it's the second time I came over. Just not in his house.

"You should get some rest," I informed him, patting his chest.

"You're not gonna stay?" he pouted.

"You're still sick."

"You won't risk it?"

"I'm already am, coming over here." I got up, heading to the kitchen and washed my hands. "Hopefully you'll get better this week at school."

"Hopefully." We hugged each other briefly, his arm lingered around my neck and I left.

" We hugged each other briefly, his arm lingered around my neck and I left