Chapter 10: Open Your Back Door

Hannah:

Well, that was awkward earlier. Louis kept putting his arm around me the entire time. Charlie had nothing to worry about, anyway. I had nothing to worry about with the girl that was with him. After leaving the store, we met with Linda at the Subway for lunch. I nibbled slowly on my sandwich, the soft bread and onions mingled on my tastebuds. I wasn't in a rush to go home. I stared off, lost in thought, there was a couple holding hands in line. She snuck a kiss into the crook of his neck. The corners of my mouth twitched in a small smile of their sweet moment.

"You ok?" I heard Linda, bringing my attention to her. She stared at me with her mouth full.

"Yeah, uh you guys ready to go?" I asked them, grabbing my sub and sour cream and onion chips. I'll eat this later.

"Sure," Louis spoke as he stood up and took his trash with him. I stood as well, holding my leftovers.

"You two can go, Ed's picking me up." She spoke, drinking out of the corner of her mouth.

"You're not talking to him, remember?" I reminded in a duh voice.

"Oh yeah." She pouted, chewing the straw, groaned in frustration. "Fine. Let's go." She stood, dragging her feet she followed us out of the mall and to the parking lot.

***

Louis dropped Linda off first and then took me home. "See you at school." Louis parked in the driveway. I waved bye to him, exiting his car, searched for my house keys and opened the front door. Before closing it, he's still in the driveway. I waved again, he waved back before driving off. Entering fully inside, I pulled out my phone to call Charlie. To ease my mind and his.

By the time I dialed his number, I heard keys and the front door opened. "Hi sweetie!" My parents came back from their errands, many grocery bags were in their hands. I went over to help, placing them on the dining table and began sorting out the food they bought. From frozen treats to produce, it will last us for a while.

"You guys bought a lot from Costco, didn't you?" I asked, placing the eggs in the fridge.

"Yeah and for good reason too," dad chimed in.

"Why?" I asked as I put in the last item in the freezer.

"Well, sweetie your dad and I are going on a business trip." Mom responded.

"Okay, for how long?" I raised my eyebrows in question.

"Two months. We leave next week." Dad concluded.

"Aww." I pouted. "Wait, why?"

"Your dad and I have to meet a client about a case, they can't travel to the states here." My parents being lawyers and owning a firm together, they worked long hours.

"Where are you guys going?" I asked.

"Greece." Mom answered.

"So I have the house to myself?" I grinned.

"No, your uncle Robert will be coming to stay," dad stated.

"Fine." I slouched my shoulders dramatically. We sorted and place the last of the items in the kitchen. Mom announced she will make dinner in an hour.

***

After dinner, I sat in my room watching a random show, contemplating to reread the After series by Anna Todd or something else. I decided to catch up on Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. Halfway into the book, my phone began to ring, The caller ID gleamed on the screen reading Charlie's name. I sat up halfway on my elbows, dread crawled on my skin. I slid the icon to accept, putting the phone to my ear and breathed. "Hello, Hannah?" his low voice said on the other line.