First Call

First Call: Hannah

I placed my phone on my dresser before sorting my clean clothes mom brought up from laundry. He won't call, why would he, anyway?

That was probably a fluke, he might've been tipsy and thought I was someone else. I smelled no alcohol though. He said he will call. I've been scrolling and contemplating on calling him first before realizing I don't have his number. It's been a week since the party, I pouted my mouth out in thought, would it be weird if I searched for his profile on Facebook. His number could be there? No, shaking my head I continued with my laundry for a distraction.

The colorful comforter was warm and toasty I rubbed it against my cheek, loving how soft it felt. Folding it, I placed it on the edge of the bed, pulling out my striped sweatpants my ringtone sounded in my ears. I reached over to glance at the caller ID, an unfamiliar local number. Sliding the answer icon I said nothing waiting for the person to speak. "Hello?" His deep voice reverted on the other end made my pulse jump. My skin warming up, I dropped my shoulders and sat straighter.

Clearing my throat I answered calmly. "Hello?"

"Hannah, it's Charlie."

"Oh. Hi." I answered nonchalantly.

"Hi. Are you busy?"

"Folding laundry. What's up?"

"I wanted us to finish our talk."

"Ok." Laying back on top of the clothes casually, I waited for him to speak. Hearing him breathe on the other end, I picked on my nail beds.

"How are you?" Was the first question he asked.

"I'm ok. How are you?" I asked back.

"Good. What are you doing?"

"Laundry. Like I said." I stifled a giggle.

"Yeah, shit. Um well, uh," he stumbled on his words, picturing him running a hand through his ruffled hair. He's nervous, I made him nervous. Smiling to myself at the accomplishment, no guy had been nervous to speak to me before.

I licked my dry lips to speak, "what are you doing?"

"I was watching movies and then thought of you, wondering why you're not watching it with me." He's to his cheeky and charming self again.

"I didn't get an invite."

"If I invited you would you come over?"

"Maybe but its late."

"Is it your bedtime?"

"Almost."

He chuckled, I laughed flicking the dead skin off my thumb from a blister as we came to a comfortable silence again. "I actually have a confession," he responded cooly.

"About what?"

"How I met you, well, saw you around school the first time."

"I thought it was gym class."

"Not really, well technically."

"Oh."

"I saw you on the ground gathering books, I helped you picked up the rest."

"You're the person that helped me?" Stunned at his confession, remembering someone assisting me with the rest of my things but they were gone before I could thank them."You left so quickly."

"I know, I was... not really sure how to say this but I was embarrassed?"

"What? Of me?" I responded gulping down hard. Of course, he's known around school, anyone seeing him helping someone that's not of his popular hierarchy.

"No! Not that," he replied in defense. "The fact that this beautiful girl I never noticed before was right in front of me, in the gym, in the halls... I'm an idiot."

"Yeah," I admitted.

"Nice of you to be honest. Let me make it up to you."

"How?"

"Movies?"

"Hmm."

"Or dinner?"

"You're bribing me."

"Is it working?"

"A bit. But I'm not sure."

"I really want to show you who I am. Get to know me, not who I am with my friends. Without prying eyes."

I nibbled my bottom lip in thought, he was being honest, kind even for trying to make it up. I agreed, "it's a start."