Chapter 9: The Scent She Liked To Wear

Charlie

I didn't feel like getting up from my bed. After the party and me rejecting Hannah's advances, I just felt like shit. I had to stay sober for the rest of the night. I should have kicked Max's ass for almost assaulting my girlfriend. His hangover was the punishment enough, so I'm happy about that. I looked for Hannah, it seemed like she left. I texted her but she didn't answer. She texted me this morning that she was fine and took a cab home. I would have taken her home. I heard my alarm ringing. Shit, it's my phone. Swim practice was canceled, please this can't be a call from coach changing his mind. I reached over and picked it up, it's Austin's name on the screen. "Hello?"

"We're going to the mall," he spoke loudly.

"What's the reason?" I asked propping myself up with my elbows.

"My cousin is in town and I have to show her around. You remember Raven, right? She's been asking about you since she came here." Oh. His younger cousin, two years younger, from Florida; she visited every year to see his family. It was Austin's duty to keep her entertained. She had the biggest crush on me when we met. She would get all bug-eyed, touchy and clingy. I mean sure she's nice and cute, but I never felt the same way.

I groaned, running a palm down my face, "I'll meet you there." After a shower I wore jeans and a blue plaid shirt, I decided to skip breakfast. I'll eat at the mall.

Heading downstairs, dad was on the couch flipping through the TV guide. I told him that I was going to the mall with Austin. He responded, "don't stay out too late, you have practice on Monday." He didn't take his eyes off the pages. I rolled my eyes, shut the door behind me, entered my car and drove off.

***

Arriving minutes later at the mall, Austin texted me to meet him and Raven at the Banana Republic. I browsed the other shops, finally catching Austin with the familiar brunette by his side. Shopping bags in her hands already. "Hey, man. I thought you weren't coming." They walked up to me with a fast stride.

"I didn't want to. I knew you would beg until I said yes. Hey Raven." I waved at her. Her green eyes glowed, she gave me a toothy smile. She looked more tanned and gotten taller.

"I missed you, Charlie!" She ran to me and gave me a tight hug.

"How have you been?" I asked, still in her embrace.

"So good! I'm only here for this weekend, so I'm making the best of it." She let go finally, swaying her body arms in front of her.

"Rae, where else do you want to check out?" Austin asked.

"Let's go to Macy's!" She exclaimed pointing straight down.

"NO WAY! If Ally finds out we're there, she would want me to buy her something," Austin refused, waving his hands left and right.

"Where is Ally, anyway?" I asked.

"With Lucy. I'm going to Foot Locker; you guys meet me at the food court." He turned around and left.

"Let's go." She grabbed my hand and linked it with hers. We walked inside and looked through the makeup section. The powerful scents in the air were overpowering. Maybe I could get something for Hannah. I'm still trying to figure out the scent she liked to wear. I settled for vanilla and mint. I could be wrong. Or was it fruity like raspberries? I picked one up, deciding on the vanilla and mint.

"Who is that for?" Raven asked, breaking out of my thoughts.

"My mom. Her birthday is coming up next month." It wasn't a lie, it was a month away, but she didn't like this scent. I already had her present in mind.

"Aww, that's sweet." She one-armed hugged me. "So, are you playing any sports?"

"I'm on the swim team," I answered.

"How long have you been a swimmer?"

"Since my freshman year."

"I bet you're awesome." She giggled brushing my skin with her index finger and I laughed quietly. She started making her way to the jeans section, our arms were linked together. "Louis!" She squealed happily to the boy she spotted. It was the new kid. With Hannah. What the hell?

"Raven, hi, what's up?" He answered. I breathed out hard through my nostrils.

"You're shopping?" She asked him.

"Just browsing with my friend." He put his arm around Hannah and she smiled. Anger boiled through my veins looking at them, but I had to keep my cool. Raven introduced him to me and we shook hands. I forced myself not to yank his arm off her.

"How do you two know each other?" I asked, attempting not to grit my teeth.

"From Florida, we used to go to the same school. Also, he's an ex." She blushed at him, he gave a small smile. I looked over to Hannah who was avoiding eye contact, he still had his arm around her. He really needed to take his fucking hand off of her. I let go of Raven's, scratching the back of my head.

"Sooo," Raven drawled out, "Is she your new girlfriend?" she pointed at Hannah, wiggling her eyebrows.

"I just met him like last week. I'm basically his tour guide for school. Just friends," Hannah frantically spilled out.

"But we're getting to know each other," Louis said with a smug smile nudging her hip with hers, Hannah tugged her shirt collar, clearing her throat.

"You guys go to the same school?" She asked and we all nodded. Only the gentle music in the store was playing between us.

Hannah pulled out her phone, eyes were reading on the screen, "Louis, if you want to stay here and catch up with Raven, you can. I'll meet you at the food court."

"No, I can go with you. Linda's there?" She nodded at his question. My jaw clenched watching them together.

"We have to go; it's good seeing you, Raven. Are you here for the weekend?" Louis asked her.

"Yeah, I'm leaving Sunday night." She responded with a shrug.

"Oh, okay. Let's go, Hannah." He gestured.

"Ok. Nice meeting you, Raven. Bye, Charlie." She waved and left with Louis.

"She's gorgeous." Raven chimed.

"Yeah," I simply said as I stared at them until they were no longer in view.

"Do you have a thing for her?" She asked as we exited Macy's.

"No. Why would you ask that?" I frowned.

"Just a hunch." She shrugged. She had her purchases and I had mine. She pulled me out of the store, squeezing my fingers. We met up with Austin at Footlocker, I told them I wasn't feeling well, without question they understood and I headed home. I couldn't stomach seeing Hannah and him eat at the same table. I shouldn't be this pissed, it meant nothing anyway. She's with me and vice versa, I shouldn't be so worried. She's going to love this.