Lonely

Lan Xichen never knew loneliness could be this painful. He looked at their GusuLan sect crest in front of him as he does his seclusion. When Nie Mingjue died, he was sad. He lost a best friend, his sworn brother. He is sadder since Nie Huaisang is all alone in his life now that his only family left is gone. However, Lan Xichen overcome the pain since he has still one more best friend left – Jin Guangyao. He and Jin Guangyao watched over Nie Huaisang together as they took over the responsibility Nie Mingjue left. however, Lan Xichen never expected for Jin Guangyao to kill Nie Mingjue. He also didn't expect for him to die – and from his own hands, their fellow sworn brother. He felt like his world is crumbling as he watched Nie Mingjue pulled Jin Guangyao inside the coffin. The moment the lid of the coffin closed, he felt his heart also closed. He lost both of his friends. They died in the hands of each other – sworn brothers. How ironic. The emptiness in his heart left by his sworn brothers' death cannot be filled up. He wonders how can he face this loneliness...

The answer, he will find from his brother and Wei Wuxian. The reason of the answer, he will find with a certain someone – days from now.

"Xichen." Lan Qiren called after their clan's banquet. He noticed that his nephew is still downcast and so he approached him. Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian already left. Who knows where they had gone to.

"Uncle." Lan Xichen said and bowed. His usually smiling face has a somber expression.

"Is it because of Jin Guangyao?" Lan Qiren asked.

Lan Xichen nodded. "I lost all my friends." He answered and sighed. "I also didn't expect for A-Yao to..." he said, then pressed his lips tight. He didn't continue.

Lan Qiren stared at his nephew. "Xichen." He called. "People are like books." He said. "They have different covers. Some are simple but their content is deep. Some are nice-looking, but their content is empty." He told him. "People are just like those books." He said. "Those you thought are kind are actually those that will do you harm. Whereas those you thought are bad, they will be the ones who will actually help you in times you needed help." He said and patted his nephew's shoulder.

What a light touch actually felt heavy for Lan Xichen. It's not because of his uncle's hand, but because of his uncle's words. His shoulder felt heavy but his heavy heart now felt lighter. He smiled and looked at Lan Qiren. "Thank you, uncle." He told him.

Lan Qiren nodded. "Sometimes, those people who are closest to you is actually the most distant to you." He said. "While those strangers..." he walked away.

Lan Xichen followed him with his eyes. "Strangers?" he said.

Lan Qiren stopped. "Those strangers, whom you thought are distant to you – " he said and turned to Lan Xichen. " – are actually closer to you more than you had thought." He said. Then, he left.

"Strangers..." Lan Xichen muttered as he watched his uncle's figure disappear in the distance. "How can they be closer to me than my friends, uncle?" he asked. However, Lan Qiren already left. "My friends are easier to deal with than a stranger since I know my friends more than the strangers that I yet to know of." He said. "Strangers... how can they be closer to me?" he asked.

He still yet to know of a stranger that could get close to him. Or so he thought. He wouldn't expect that, later, he would be the one who wanted to get close to a stranger. Or, were they really a stranger? He has still yet to know.

That stranger might actually be someone really familiar to him. 

(A/N: i know. here i am again.  i just finished Name yesterday yet again, this... XiCheng... XD sorry. i'm just looking for an inspiration for my commissioned novel that's why i am writing more fics. XD maybe my modern AU SongNing will be finished later, too. who knows XD)