Forty-three

"This is... I'm so happy for you, Alicia." I squealed. "When did he propose?"

"Yesterday?"

"Wow, just wow. Are you guys planning to have your wedding soon too?"

"Yeah. Next month!" She sang.

"Good Lord, I can't describe how really happy I am for you right now." I squealed.

"I'm so happy too."

"For the wedding planning, don't worry about it, leave everything to me." I beat my chest to show full assurance.

"Oh no!" She mocked.

"What? You think I'm not capable of planning a wedding, I've got skills, babe."

We talked further after that until it was getting really dark outside, and we both decided that we needed to return to our respective homes.

And, I was already back at home when I got a call from Jake that got me running like crazy out of the house. Unfortunately, Alicia had gotten into a fatal accident on her way home from the cafe.

Due to the accident, Alicia was in a coma for a month and then, it took another month for her to get fully recovered from the injury sustained from the accident but during the period of her recovery, I kept receiving messages meant as a threat from an unknown contact and though I didn't want to, the only person I could suspect to be behind it all was Madison George.

During Alicia's recovery, a lot of things happened, as I said earlier. Madison showed up in person to warn me on how bad things would continue to happen to me and the people around me in as much as I was still married to Brian.

As expected, bad things continued to happen after her threat. At the company, things weren't going on so well. Everyone in my department already turned their backs on me except for Catherine, but not very long, too. She tendered her resignation letter for no reason or whatsoever.

While not at work, it was the same thing. There was the day I got nearly knocked over by a car. That fateful day, I had stopped by at a supermarket to get some things after work that day and was making for my car when it had happened. My savior that day was Damien, who appeared out of nowhere.

After that day, he kept pestering me to have lunch with him. I was the one who asked him out for lunch at first to thank him for saving my life, but that changed everything.

Things weren't going on well with Brian at his company either, and I had no one else in mind to be behind it but Madison George.

After a lot of thinking, I decided to meet up with Madison to talk things out. During our discussion, she had flared up when I had told her to accept reality already so she could move on and blurted out the fact that I was lucky to still be alive if Brian hadn't taken my car to work then. I knew right away she was talking about the car accident Brian had then. As it turned out, if I was right, I was the one who was supposed to have had the accident but since it was Brian who took my car that day, it was he who had the accident.

I brought up the issue of how Brian's company was struggling, but she denied knowing anything about it, I couldn't get myself to believe her, though.

It wasn't long to find out who was behind it. It was Damien, but before the truth came out, I had lunch with him a second time. It wasn't because I wanted to, but because he showed up at UF. Unfortunately, there was no way to avoid him.

He decided to leave after much pleading but made me promise to meet with him after work that day if I don't want him showing up at my workplace again the following day.

We met again that day after I got off work. My plan was to not spend too much time out with him, but our discussion stretched on, and I found myself beginning to consider him as a friend again. Little did I know what he was up to.