Forty-two

"Ruby," He suddenly called while I was still in his embrace.

"Hm," I answered.

"Can you promise me something?"

"What?"

"That you'll never leave me?"

At his question, I tried to pull away but he restrained me.

"Where is this coming from?"

"I just want the assurance."

"Why do you think I'll leave you? You should tell me if there's anything going on."

He sighed in reply.

"Are you not hungry?" He asked instead.

"Did you just avoid my question?"

He pulled away, sensing the anger in my voice.

"Why are you suddenly turning serious?"

"That's because you're scaring me." My stomach let out a rumble that very moment.

"Come on, let's go and eat."

"You should answer my question first. Why do you think I'll leave you?" His phone started ringing just then.

"I'm so sorry, I really need to pick this." He kissed me on the cheek before leaving the room probably for his study.

I knew he was hiding something from me, and I would like more than anything to know whatever was going on with him, but how would I know what it was if he wasn't telling me anything.

He came to join me at the dining table and after we finished eating, he retreated to his study room to do some office work while to pass away the time and to clear my head, I played basketball and afterwards made my way to the pool room.

I must have been lost in thought because I didn't realize when he entered the room and was now standing before me.

"You seemed so lost in thought." He pointed out with a warming smile.

"You're here!"

"Yeah. What are you doing swimming alone, though?"

"You were busy."

"I'm done now."

"Will you join me then?"

"I would love to, but not today."

"Why not?"

"I don't feel like it today."

"Really?" With that I got out of the pool with water dripping from my body which I didn't care to dry off before walking over to where he was and only stood before him without uttering a word for a while.

"Why are you looking at me that way?" He asked.

Not uttering a word still and without any warning, I raised the end of his t-shirt over his stomach and right there on the side of his stomach, was a gauze which had a little bloodstain on it. He couldn't say anything, knowing he couldn't hide it anymore.

"What happened to you?"

"This? It happened at work. It's just a slight cut."

"This doesn't look like a slight cut. This gauze is way too large and thick for a slight cut."

"It's really just a slight cut, Ruby."

"Right!" I released his shirt and left the pool room after grabbing the towel draped over the chair situated beside the pool and wrapping it round my body.