Eight

Going to the studio where Mike works to see Ellis didn't yield any result. Ellis already got back from wherever he traveled to but he couldn't tell us Mike's location because he also didn't know, hard to believe though, because he was acting strange and I doubt if he traveled himself at all.

*

On the Monday that I was supposed to start work at MAXCO, I woke up as early as 4am to perform some fitness exercise. I took my bath afterwards during which I washed my hair. Once, I was done with doing my makeup, I got dressed in a nice outfit of a sky blue chiffon blouse over a pair of black pants. By 6:30am, I was already in my car and on my way to work.

The CEO's office was a very big one and my desk was just a little distance from it. Before getting to the CEO's office, there were other offices and as I walked past them, the workers cast curious gazes at me from inside. Now at my desk, with my head bent, I tried replying Alicia's message which came in not long ago.

"Why is it suddenly cold in here." I put my phone back in my bag after having replied her text and rubbed my palms together. Just then, there was the sound of approaching footsteps and as it continued to get closer, the cold in the room became even more intense.

Shivering a little, I looked towards the doorway in time to see an handsome god-like figure who must be no doubt Brian Walker, the CEO of the company, walk in. He was donned in a black, slim-fit suit, a gray shirt and a black tie, which all looked more than perfect on him.

The thirty-two year old CEO was tall and had such beautiful features; shiny dark brown hair, perfectly arched brows, full long dark lashes surrounding dark gray eyes, a sharp pointed nose, luscious lips and a well-defined jawline. He suddenly stopped walking and I jerked up, finally out of my trance.

He must have noticed the way I was staring at him because as I made my way towards him, I noticed the obvious smirk on his lips. Must be used to ladies looking at him that way all his life, good for him he is handsome and at that I scoffed inwardly.

"Good morning, Mr Walker. I'm Ruby..." I was trying to introduce myself but was cut off.

"New secretary," He said bluntly. "Looking forward to working with you." He said before sauntering off to his office and as he did, my teeth clattered as I had felt a sudden whiff of cold air again. Ten minutes after he left for his office, I was called to show up in his office. I knocked lightly on the fine wooden door on getting there.

"Come in." He answered from inside. I entered and walked towards his desk. He was busy on his laptop not looking up. His office was spacious and I will say exquisite, being well-furnished with expensive leather chairs. There was a glass shelf containing different awards on the left side of the wall. And then, there was an aquarium filled with blue betta fishes on his right.

"Sir?"

"I'm having a meeting at 8am and I need you to prepare a file before then."

I left his office for my desk after he had explained to me in details all that I needed to do.

He also gave me the rules to follow as well, like I must always get to work before him, always carry out any work he assigns me quickly and without any mistake and made known to me how much he hates heavy perfume and heavy makeup. The task of watering the little plant in a small vase that he had in his office and feeding his fishes were also assigned to me.

Not long, I was done with all that he assigned me but he on the other hand seemed surprised to see me, like he wasn't expecting me to be done with them that quickly.

"Here, Sir," I placed the files on the table before him. He checked them and looked up, before going ahead to pick up another one.

"I need you to make a photocopy of this." He handed me a file.

I plopped down onto my couch immediately I entered my apartment upon getting back from work. I was assigned a lot to do by my boss and by the time we closed for the day, I was more than exhausted. Even my legs were seriously aching from walking as I couldn't count the number of times he sent me to get things for him from different floors.

Remembering I missed Alicia's call earlier, I fished out my phone from my bag to call her.

"Hey girl," She answered the call. "How was work? I was just about to call you again."

"Tiring. Just got back from work."

"Really? At 9:30pm!"

"Yeah. I think I'm beginning to take the rumors about him seriously."

"But I missed out the fact that he is way too good-looking."

"Good-looking but too cold and heartless." I stated with an irritated face. "Oh my God, I think I'm being too harsh."

"Yeah." Even though I couldn't see her, I could bet she gave that a nod.

"You really do know how to make me feel bad about something, anyway what about you? How was work today?"

"Not too stressful. Alex is going more than easy on me as always."

"Good for you, I wish my new boss has half of the personality of your boss. Anyway good night, till tomorrow."

"Make sure you find something to eat before going to bed, okay?"

"I will. Love you. Nwah!" I made a kissing sound.

"Love you too." And she had made a kissing sound too.

Once I hung up, there was an incoming call, the caller ID showing Alex.