Thirty-four

"Are you traveling?"

"Yeah, I was going to tell you last night but somehow I forgot. It's a business trip to China and I'll only be gone for two days."

I shrank a little in my seat at that. "Oh okay."

"But before I leave, I think you should know this. Damien, wasn't the one who committed suicide six years ago, his look-alike did."

I was confused.

"When I get back, I'll explain everything to you in details but for now, I should get going."

"All right. Take care."

"Take care too." He rose up to leave after that.

My eyes followed him as he did and I just couldn't stop imagining two days without seeing him to resolve how things were between us.

"Brian!" I found myself calling his name just as he was going to open the door to step out.

I knew he heard me because he withdrew his hand from the knob and turned away from the door.

I had no idea of what I was doing, but I rose to my feet all the same and started making my way over to where he was and when I reached him, searching his eyes for a brief second, I hugged him to my utmost surprise and I must have taken him by surprise as well as I had felt his body grow tense against me. Thinking I was going beyond the line, I was going to pull away from him but before I could, he held me back and it was my turn to tense up as he wrapped his arms around me.

"Go on a date with me when I get back." I heard him say and my breath hitched .

"A date?" I asked to be sure I heard him right.

"Yes, a date."

~

A call from Alicia came in just as I stepped out of my car on getting back from work the same day.

"Hey, babe." I chirped.

"Someone is in a good mood today." She teased. "How was work?"

"No issue so far so I guess, fine? Yours?" I asked.

"Great. Guess what?"

"What?"

"I told you to guess."

"You know I'm not good at guessing."

"But you should try once in a while. Okay, I'll just say it. Anita is coming to New York City this Saturday."

"Anita?" Anita had been a close friend of ours since college. She hailed from Toronto the capital of Ontario and she was among our group of the 'Hard To Get Girls', the HGGs which comprised of just the three of us.

During our first year, after Alicia had an issue with her boyfriend and then Anita, the three of us swore off boys. She was such a good friend of ours throughout college. We spent one of our summer vacations then in Toronto, where we lodged at her hospitable parents' house throughout our stay there. After graduating from college, we only hear from her once in a while.

"Yes."

"Oh my gosh! And when is she going back?"

"Not until next week Tuesday."

"Wow, that's great."

"She's staying at my place and we will be having a girls' day out on Sunday."

"I can't wait." I shrilled excitedly.

"Me too. I have to go now. I'll call you again later in the evening."

"All right. Bye."

*