Six

"You should have seen how surprised I was when he apologized for that day." Alicia told me as she continued to play with her black hair comb. "And when he asked me if I would like to go on a date with him this evening afterwards, I thought he was completely out of his mind or just fooling around."

"Turned out he wasn't fooling around afterall, since he is outside, waiting for you. You told me yourself you said yes when he asked."

"I was just being sarcastic, didn't know he was being serious. I really don't want to go on a date with him."

She was grumpy.

"Oh come on, Jake is not that bad." I laughed.

"Now you are taking his side."

"Never. You know I will always take your side, baby."

"You better!"

She was sulking again.

"You should have believed me when I told you, you guys were going to end up going out sooner or later."

"I'm never going to date someone like him."

"We shall see." I sang.

I disengaged the roller carefully from her hair as I continued with the styling.

Alicia had the softest hair I know which she knew very well that I envy, it was also very black compared to mine which was a dark brown color.

Aside having different hair colors, we had different eye colors too, hers were brown while mine were mixed, green on the right and blue on the left. She had a pointed nose like me and we were both just the same height, as those, were the only features we both shared.

"Ruby," She called.

"Yeah."

"There's something I'm yet to tell you." She said and I stopped what I was doing to listen.

"What's that?"

"I think Alex likes you,"

"The same Alex I know? Your boss?"

"Yeah, he never stops asking about you and today he asked if I could share him your phone number."

"Did you give it to him?" I asked with knitted brows. I knew she couldn't have given it to him since she knew how much I hated guys being given my number without my consent but I decided to ask anyway and she had made a puppy face instead.

"Alicia," I groaned.

"I couldn't say no. Also, he could have gotten it through the company, if he wanted to." She defended. I didn't say anything but made to continue with styling her hair, feeling a little grumpy. Before my hands could however come into contact with her hair, she tilted her head to the side.

"You can't continue styling my hair with that face, I already said I was sorry."

"And when did you say sorry?"

"Just now," She batted her lashes at me. I shook my head instead and was going to resume styling her hair when she dodged my hands again.

"Don't worry, you've done a great job. I mean look at this." She patted her now bouncy waves lightly for emphasis.

"But, I'm not done yet." I disagreed.

"Really, it's okay. Prom! Such an unforgettable day!"

"Jesus, Alicia, do you have to always bring that up?"

On our prom day, she offended me by hiding my prom dress and only handed it back to me when I was going to start crying after searching everywhere for it but couldn't find it.

She intended for it to be a joke but I made a payback. I did a beautiful makeup for her; well, according to her. I didn't allow her to look in the mirror, not even once. She learned about my folly not until we had walked into my grandma's living room. She got suspicious when she noticed the way my grandma continued to stare at her a little weirdly.

'Told you the makeup is perfect. Even grandma can't stop staring.'

Not trusting me, she ran back into my room to check, only to let out a piercing scream upon seeing herself in the mirror. It was such a good memory and I took pictures of her before she could wash it off. The brows I drew for her was a perfect curve, the eyeliner went the wrong way and the lipstick was smeared beyond her lips. She did hers back anyway when she had the chance.

It wasn't only that day I made silly paybacks and she was just as guilty as I was.

"Okay, I swear I won't do anything stupid." I promised.

"This is everything." She rose up, while turning a deaf ear to my plea to sit back down.

"Want me to help with your dress?"

I was assisting with the zip of her beige dress when my phone buzzed. What I saw got me speechless the moment I opened the new message in my inbox.

Alicia immediately came over to look too when she saw the expression on my face.

She gasped on seeing what it was and when our eyes met, we both screamed in unison, leaping up and down happily. It was a text from MAXCO telling me to start work on Monday.

"I'm so happy for you." Alicia shrilled.

"I'm so happy too."

I was home alone after Alicia left for her date but she wouldn't stop chatting me up. It turned out she preferred to spend the whole evening chatting with me instead of enjoying her date with Jake. I was trying to reply her last message when my phone started ringing. There was no caller ID.

"Hello," It was a male's voice this time when I picked the call and it sounded really familiar.

"Hi, do I know who is speaking?"

"This is Alex," The voice said.

"Oh Alex, hey," A little awkwardness swept in.

Wasn't that too casual?

"How have you been?" He asked, no sign of anger in his voice.

"I've been good. What about you?"

"I'm okay too. I'm actually wondering if you have plans for tomorrow, I mean in the evening?"

"No, not really. Why?"

"Can you- I mean if you don't mind go on a dinner date with me tomorrow?"

"Umm...yeah,"

"Okay tomorrow at seven in the evening? I'll come to pick you up."

"But you don't know my place."

"That's no problem, Alicia will help with that."

"All right then."

After the call, I facepalmed myself.

I couldn't believe I just said yes to a date with Alex.