Chapter 26: Getting Desperate

2 weeks later

Erma's POV

I was currently running through the barren, burning streets that used to be our happy, little town. 2 weeks ago you'd see citizens and hunters alike running around, just living their lives. However, after Pandora took control its been reduced to a pile of rubble and chaos.

I sneakily made my way to the market and began looking for food in the few stalls that were still intact. I found a few loaves of bread and some fruit. I put them in my bag and prepared to head back, but was stopped when I heard growling from nearby. I peeked out from behind the stall. There stood a seregios hybrid, sniffing the ground as if looking for it's prey.

I quickly hid under the stall and covered my mouth to halt my breathing. The hybrid placed it's hands on the stall and continued to sniff the air as it searched for me. It's mouth began watering and drops of drool landed at my feet. Suddenly, there was a sharp, loud whistle. I heard the seregios hybrid crawled away from the stall. I peeked around the stall again and saw it crawling over to that deviljho hybrid.

I-63: come on, we can't keep mistress Pandora waiting.

They both walked away and I exhaled in relief. After regaining my composure I made a run for it. I stopped at a manhole in the middle of the street. I knock once, paused, then knocked 3 times. The manhole opened and I crawled inside.

Cody: that secret knock of your is so hard to remember.

Erma: hey, if we didn't have a secret knock, then anyone could enter our secret base.

Cody: *sigh* good point. So what'd you get.

Erma: uh...

I looked inside my bag and started telling him what I had.

Erma: 5 loaves of bread, 3 apples, 4 oranges, oh and a pear.

I took the pear out of the bag and took a bite out of it.

Cody: WE HAVE TO RATION OUR FOOD YA KNOW! YOU CAN'T JUST EAT SOMETHING CAUSE TO WANT TO!

I extended my arm towards him and offer him the pear.

Erma: you want some?

Cody: NO, YOU ALREADY TOOK A BITE OUT OF IT!

I just shrugged my shoulders.

Erma: suit yourself.

I continued eat my pear. Me and Cody kept walking through the tunnels underneath the town and arrived at home base. Hundreds of survivors were against the walls comforting and reassuring their friends and loved ones. We saw Kyanna tending to one of the survivors. She was wrapping bandages around their leg.

???: Thank you, commander.

Kyanna: no problem, but please just call me Kyanna.

Erma: HEY, KYANNA!

She saw me and Cody and walked over to us. I handed her the bag of food.

Kyanna: thanks, Erma. I'm sorry you have to keep going back to the surface for food.

Erma: oh, it's no biggie. Sometimes it pays to be short. I can sneak past anyone.

Kyanna: hey, Alexander.

Alexander walked over to Kyanna and she handed him the bag.

Kyanna: ration those for me, would ya?

Alexander: yes, ma'am.

Alexander walked away and Kyanna sighed.

Cody: everything ok?

Kyanna: y-yeah, I'm just not used to being commander. Everybody just calls me ma'am or commander. It feels weird.