Chapter 4: Proof

Kyanna's POV

Cody: god, this guy's heavier than he looks.

Kyanna: just keep carrying him until we get back to town.

Cody was carrying the zinogre boy in a sack over his shoulder. We were about to approach the front gate.

Cody: this is definitely a bad idea, Kyanna.

Kyanna: I'll tell you when I have a bad idea.

Cody sighed. As we got to the front 2 guards stopped us.

Guard 1: Kyanna, where have you been? The commander's been looking everywhere for you.

I decided to lie.

Kyanna: we were just doing some late night hunting, no big deal.

They noticed the sack that Cody had on his shoulder.

Guard 2: what's in that bag you got there?

I lied again.

Kyanna: uh, we had a run in with a malfestio. We plucked off all it's feathers and put them in that sack.

The 2 guards looked at each other and nodded. The gate opened and we walked into the city. People stared at us as we made our way to town square. When we got there we I saw my dad speaking with his right hand man.

Kyanna: HEY, DAD!

He turned to me and my friends.

Shepard: just a moment, Alexander.

He walked over to me.

Shepard: Kyanna, where were you?

Before I answered, he saw that me and Cody were all scratched up.

Shepard: what have you been doing?

Kyanna: getting proof.

Shepard: what?

Kyanna: yesterday when I told you about that boy we saw, you didn't believe me. So I decided to get proof.

Cody: uh, Kyanna.

Kyanna: not now, Cody. Anyway, even when I'm telling the truth you still don't believe anything I say. So now I'm gonna put that to an end.

Cody: Kyanna!

Kyanna: I said not now!

Cody: KYANNA, HE'S WAKING UP!

As soon as Cody said that I turned around and the  burlap sack moving around frantically. Cody dropped the sack and quickly backed away.

Shepard: Kyanna, what's in that bag?!

A pair of claws pierced through the bag and ripped a large hole in it. The boy continued to tear the bag into little pieces. The people in the area looked on in shock at what was before them. My dad looked at me, surprised that I was telling the truth.

Kyanna: SEE?!

A bunch of guards ran over and surrounded the boy, pointing their bowguns at him. The boy's expression change. He didn't look angry anymore, he looked...scared.

I ran pasted the guards and stood in front of the boy.

Kyanna: PUT YOUR WEAPONS DOWN!

Shepard: KYANNA, GET AWAY FROM HIM!

Kyanna: NO! LOOK AT HIM, HE'S SCARED! HE'S NOT GONNA HURT ANYONE!

I looked at the boy and saw him looking back at me in surprise.

Shepard: *sigh* STAND DOWN!

The guards lowered their weapon and backed up. I turned to the boy and knelt down to his level. I reached out my hand. He backed up a bit.

Kyanna: it's ok, I'm not gonna hurt you.

I extended my hand and rubbed his head. This seemed to calm him down a bit.

Kyanna: see? Everything's fine.

Shepard: return to your posts, I need to speak with my daughter and her friends in private.

The guards left and I was just me, my dad, the boy, and my friends.

Shepard: so you brought this boy here so you could prove that you were telling the truth?

I nodded. He looked at the boy.

Shepard: hm, well he seems harmless. Ok, you brought him here so he's your responsibility.

Cody: wait, your not seriously gonna let her...keep him, are you?

Shepard: well, we need someone to keep an eye on him and we can't just release him back into the wild.

I got up and started walking home. I turned and gestured for him to follow me. He followed next to me as we went back to the house.

We got home and I opened the door. He crawled inside and looked around. He began sniffing the furniture.

Erma: so is he gonna be living with us?

Kyanna: apparently.

The boy made his way into the kitchen and stuck his head in one of the cabinets. He pulled his head out and we saw that he had an entire loaf of bread in his mouth.

Cody: uh, so can he speak?

Kyanna: I don't know. Hey!

The boy looked at me.

Erma: well, he can understand what we're saying.

I walked over to the bookshelf and grabbed a dictionary.

Kyanna: well, were gonna have to teach him how to speak English.

I called him over and gestured for him to sit on one of the chairs we had. He did and I handed him the dictionary. He took in and looked at it for a moment before he started chewing on the spine. I took it from him and opened it for him. He took it again and looked at it until I noticed he was holding it upside down. I flipped it the right way and looked at him. I looked at him and saw his eyes passing over the words.

My gaze shifted to his horn. I walked behind the chair. I moved my hand towards his head and I began to rub one of his horn. His head perked up, but I continued.

Erma: uh, Kyanna I think you should stop.

Kyanna: why, his horns are so smooth.

Cody: yeah, he's blushing.

I looked at his faces and saw that it was completely red. I quickly backed away.

Kyanna: I-I'M SORRY, I DIDN'T KNOW!

Cody: we should probably leave him for a bit, let him get the lay of the land, ya know.

Kyanna: y-yeah, let's go.

I grabbed my stuff and walked to the door. Before we left, I turned to him.

Kyanna: stay here ok?

He seemed to understand. We walked outside and went to the market.

Cody: well, he's gonna be a handful, huh?

Kyanna: well, he's been out there in the forest for who knows how long. We'll just have to teach him how to act like a...person.

Cody: and how do you plan to do that?

Kyanna: books and determination.

Cody: *sigh* ya know your a handful too?

Kyanna: you're not the first to say that.