Chapter 3: The Element of Surprise

This was it, make or break time. But wait, Sebastian Dognert was a suffering drug addict, with no living family, his closest thing to a friend had just been shot dead in front of him.  Maybe this man was going to put him out of his misery, what if he was a saviour? Armed with a machine gun.  But basic human instinct wouldn’t let him lay here, and accept death. It wouldn’t let him slowly slip into whatever lay next for him.

The man walked ever closer, Sebastian wasn’t sure who he was going to shoot first. He took a risk and opened his eyes, it was enough, the man was roughly 90 degrees to his right, and he was towards the corpse that was once Daniel. He took some deep breaths, he wasn’t going to be able to stand up, and so he had to use only his hands.

Time to strike, Sebastian swung his arm up and grabbed the man’s belt, he let out a shriek, (which was rather funny) and tried aiming at Sebastian. But he couldn’t get a clear shot, He was a blur of motion, powered by the adrenaline of a near death experience. He bring his free hand up and delivered a feeble blow to the man’s nose, it wasn’t his strongest, but it was enough to stun the man. He held onto the man’s arms and dragged himself up, they were roughly the same height. He didn’t have time to think about that though, he brung his head back and head-butted the man’s nose, exactly where he had been punched, causing him to cry out again. The man started frantically shooting, desperate to kill Sebastian.  Sebastian brung his legs around the man, and pushed the gun out of his hands. It clambered to the floor and let out a bullet, it struck Daniel in the chest, though it obviously didn’t affect him.

Sebastian let go of the man and fell to the floor, landing right on his injured leg, he burst a most terrible shriek of pain, but he needed to tend to his wound later, and shoot his assailant first, he kept his eyes on the man as he stumbled towards Sebastian, but rapidly moved his arm trying to get a hold of the gun, he felt it and assumed it was the back of the gun, he picked it up and aimed, oh how he was wrong.  He had in fact, picked up the barrel, and aimed the back at the man. The grizzled mercenary saw this, and flashed a grin, barely visible for the blood streaming down his face. He ran at Sebastian, laid across the ground. Sebastian kicked him away and he fell into the sign for  ‘Joe’s authentic Italian style diner’ which was the only light in the clearing, glass smashed and the man let out a grunt of pain, all light was gone, Sebastian’s only hope was hearing the man.

The man foolishly said to himself ‘’Where are you? You littl-‘’ but it was loud enough for Sebastian to hear, and he turned to his left and fired 2 bullets, a grunt , and then the sound as a body slumped to the floor, Sebastian was shaking, He had just taken his fourth life. But, he didn’t feel safe or secure. But he felt pride, why pride? He was happy that he had just killed someone’s husband, son, brother, cousin, maybe a father! But the realisation dawned on him, now the Darzell’s were hunting him; he had killed one of their own! He was going to have to take more lives, the thought was unbearable.

As he lay in the darkness, the corpse of his only friend to his right, the corpse of his enemy to his left, he couldn’t help but feel and do what he did every time he killed, he felt guiltiness and shame, and curled himself into a ball, and cried gently to himself. He did this as a child, every time he had done something ‘Naughty’ such as steal a cookie, or lie to his mum, he would be sent to his room, and he would feel guilt, shame and cry.

Well then, what now? He couldn’t walk, and he had just killed someone. He would have to crawl, but to where? He would have to go to a hospital… where they would clearly find out he had used illegal substances, and he would go to jail. He heard more footsteps, of course! The Darzell’s were back, they hadn’t gone far when the shooting had started, and surely they had heard it. The footsteps advanced, and he aimed the gun at the alleyway, hoping that there were more bullets in the magazine. A small voice came from the darkness;
‘’Je- Jeric?’’
It was the small boy, Mr. Darzell’s personal assistant. Sebastian tried to imitate Jeric’s grizzled voice.
‘’Yeah?’’
It was a feeble attempt, Sebastian had a high pitched voice, and Jeric’s was quite low.
‘’Tha- that’s not Jeric! MR. DARZELL, MR DARZ-‘’ But the boys voice was cut off by a gunshot. Sebastian hadn’t fired; it had come from the roof tops above. He heard a body slump to the ground, The young boy was probably dead. Hands grasped Sebastian from behind and before he could object, hands clasped his mouth, a bag was put over his head and he was slowly being dragged away, he tried to scream, or shout, but only a muffled voice came out. He started to writhe and shake, but the firm grip on him stopped him from escaping, a woman’s voice said “Someone shut him up.” He tried escaping again, they were going to kill him, he knew it. He had killed a man to escape death, just for someone else to kill him, he couldn’t let this happen, He tried shouting again, but to no avail. He heard someone reply “Yes Ma’am” and he was struck across the head, sending him unconscious, the only sleep he’d had in days.