Chapter Seventeen - It's just...

Chapter seventeen – it's just...

Just as it was about to slip out of her mouth she coughed and it managed to turn into a fit of coughs. I started panicking and immediately raced to get her a glass of water. I returned to her with the half full glass and she downed half of it and sighed.

'oh dear...oh my throat hurts...hmm dear do you have a butter menthol or something?' she asked and I sat thinking for a minute, did I?'

'ah yes I do actually' I told her and walked to my room to find one. I grabbed the packet and brought it out to her.

'are you alright?' I asked as she sucked on the lolly for a little bit.

'yes I'm fine now dear...sorry about that'

'it's okay...as long as you feel better'

'I do...'

She opened her mouth to say something but her phone started ringing. Inside my head I mentally screamed! It's like I wasn't meant to know the girls friggin god damn name! I cursed over and over in my head.

'hello, this is Marcia speaking' she answered the phone swiftly.

'hmm...no...ah yes I can do that...yes...yep...okay, right then I'll deal with it, thank you' she hung up swiftly and gave me a sympathetic smile.

'I'm sorry dear that was June. She needs a helping hand at fish store'

'I can help...' I told her standing up at the same time.

'oh no dear, I possibly couldn't ask that of you'

'think of it as a favour' I told her and she sighed nodding.

'I guess we could have an extra hand' she told me and I smiled. I grabbed my shoes and we were on our way. We sat in the car quiet; I looked out the window at the ocean. The waves rolled in roughly and the sand was still unoccupied.

I did notice one person sitting at one of the benches. He was facing the water, looking out at it. I sighed slumping in my seat. Just a few seconds later the car lurched and stopped. We were parked in front of the fish and chip store. There was a small line but there were a few more people waiting outside.

I followed Marcia inside quickly and we ordered to work. I was handed an apron and nudged towards the wrapping. I blinked trying to realise what I was doing. Someone appeared beside me and flung the bowl of chips onto the paper and disappeared. I looked down at the chips.

'fold the paper, come on we're in a rush' someone spoke and I turned looking at the lady.

'um how do we fold it?' I asked her and she nodded showing me straight up. I watched her and blinked thinking I had it. It didn't seem that hard. She quickly disappeared and another bowl of chips flushed onto the paper in front of me.

Folding the paper exactly the same as the lady had I smiled as I handed it to the waiting worker. I did, I remembered it perfectly from just one try.

'ah there you are, thank you so much for lending a hand. I promise I'll spare you a twenty when we're done' a lady spoke beside me and I jumped looking up at her.

'um...oh no you don't have to give me money-'

'ah don't be ridiculous. I should have known it would be busy today but thank you for helping and I will glue the twenty to your hand whether you want it or not'

'yes ma'am' I answered and she laughed.

'no worries and I'm June by the way'

'oh...I'm Kat'