Punishment

A few months later, Lan XiChen was getting restless. It was time for his evening meal and Xie XiYue was late. He gazed into the pouring rain. Maybe the weather was keeping him? Finally he heard footsteps and stilled, an eager expectation in his heart.

"Enter!" But the one who came in, was someone else.

"Where's Xie XiYue?" Lan XiChen asked, before he could stop himself.

"He is doing punishment, ZeWu-Jun."

"Punishment?" Lan XiChen had to grip his knees not to bolt off the floor in a way unbecoming the role of the head of clan Lan and the leader of Cloud Recesses.

"Someone saw him sneaking back into Cloud Recesses this afternoon and told—"

"Xie XiYue left Cloud Recesses without permission?" Lan XiChen frowned.

"He's doing lines," the attendant said, then lowered his voice. "The other disciples are saying he has a girl in town." He giggled, but swallowed nervously at a glare from Lan XiChen. "Sorry, I shouldn't spread gossip."

"Leave the pot there. It can be picked up when my next meal is brought over." Lan XiChen bent his head, dismissing his attendant. 

Absentmindedly, he took a spoonful of the soup and almost spat it out. The flavour of the food he had eaten almost every day of his life was suddenly tasteless and bitter. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. When had he grown used to Xie XiYue's cooking? 

And it wasn't just the meals, he realized. Xie XiYue had done more than that, unasked. He had tidied up the rooms, not that there was much to do, and brought sweet smelling plants inside to refreshen the air. Under his care in the past few months, Lan XiChen had regained the weight he had lost while he grieved. He had regained more than that, if he was honest with himself. The smiles Xie XiYue gave him had nourished him far more than the food had. A girl in town...

Lan XiChen pushed the unappetising soup aside and left his rooms, striding with purpose, grabbing a paper umbrella at the last moment to keep his robes dry. When he arrived at Lan Sect's ancestral hall, used for the punishment of unruly disciples, he stood for a moment, debating, then entered soundlessly.

The room was empty, save for Xie XiYue, who was standing upside down on one arm, copying the rules laboriously with the other. Lan XiChen stepped closer, just the sight of Xie XiYue easing his spirits. "You misspelled 'forbidden'," Lan XiChen said and pointed with his long finger.

Xie XiYue squealed and lost his balance, starting to fall. Lan XiChen reached out to him instinctively and they tumbled to the ground together, Xie XiYue landing on top of Lan XiChen. For a moment neither moved, frozen in the surprise embrace.

"ZeWu-Jun! I'm so sorry!" Xie XiYue scrambled off, and sat on his knees, doing a deep bow, his face flushing red. "You startled me, ZeWu-Jun."

Lan XiChen got up, straightening his robes, his limbs still tingling from the feel of the young man's body pressed against him. He had to take a few deep breaths to regain his composure. "It was my fault. Please continue."

Xie XiYue bowed again, his face still red, and took up the position, resuming his copying.

"You were outside without permission," Lan XiChen said, and couldn't keep the tone of disappointment from his voice. "I heard you were visiting a girl."

Xie XiYue tumbled again but managed to right his posture at the last minute. "No! Never!" he cried, a look of horror on his face that made Lan XiChen bite his lip to keep from smiling. Was it just because Xie XiYue sounded so horrified, or was it because of something else? Lan XiChen didn't care to examine why he suddenly felt so much happier.