Jiang Cheng's karma, part 3

Xian TaoQi's eyes opened and he turned to the room, knowing instinctively that the spot next to him on the bed was empty

Xian TaoQi's eyes opened and he turned to the room, knowing instinctively that the spot next to him on the bed was empty. He looked around and saw Jiang Cheng standing in the back garden, getting drenched in the rain. He got up and walked closer. "Sweet rabbit... come back to bed."

"Don't call me that!" Jiang Cheng said tightly. He whirled around, ready to confront Xian TaoQi, but the words died on his lips. Xian TaoQi was standing behind him, naked. Jiang Cheng couldn't stop his eyes travelling down that gorgeous body, which had nearly drowned him in pleasure the night before.

"Why are you so angry? You seemed to enjoy it last night?"

"You...!" Jiang Cheng exclaimed. "I was tired from the battle, and you.... It won't happen again. I'm not a cut-sleeve like my brother." Jiang Cheng's eyes lit up, and he missed the look on Xian TaoQi's face. "Wei WuXian! Of course! Wei WuXian gave me his golden core... That's why! It isn't me, it's him! It's just his core that's making me—" For a moment it all made sense. How Jiang Cheng had taken to Xian TaoQi so quickly, how he had fallen on his back so shamelessly and begged, begged!, for Xian TaoQi for more. 

"Do you really think it's all just because of that core? Would you let just any man kiss you, then?" Xian TaoQi's voice didn't have its usual playful tone.

Jiang Cheng spluttered.

"Do you watch all naked men like you are watching me right now?"

Jiang Cheng yanked his eyes back up to Xian TaoQi's face. "I didn't—"

"Do you think it's Wei WuXian's golden core that makes your heart beat faster when you're with me? Is it the core that made you fall in love with me?"

"What makes you think I love you?" Jiang Cheng scoffed, and a small smile appeared on Xian TaoQi lips. He knew how to read Jiang Cheng by now.

"I've been calling you Jiang Cheng since I first kissed you. And you haven't said anything to stop me," Xian TaoQi said, smiling a little more widely.

Jiang Cheng's breath caught. It was true. Xian TaoQi had never even called him Jiang WanYin, his formal common name. He searched for a retort, but couldn't come up with anything better than, "It's better than you calling me sweet rabbit."

Xian TaoQi laughed. "You like it, admit it." He pulled the feebly resisting Jiang Cheng to him and kissed him. "And even if it is the core? What then? Would that mean you don't want me anymore? Would you let me walk out that door and leave you?"

Jiang Cheng felt dizzy, and he could hardly think. Xian TaoQi leave? No more early morning sparring sessions. No more talks over dinner, Xian TaoQi's loving eyes watching him across the table. No more kisses, or caresses, or nights such as last night. He would be alone. Jiang Cheng fought for a breath. Alone. Like he had been before Xian TaoQi came to his life.

"Do you really want me to go?" Xian TaoQi asked, his eyes suddenly full of worry.

Jiang Cheng's thoughts whirled in his head and he couldn't answer.