The Run Chapter 25

Chapter 25

When I woke up, I was still laying on the hospital bed underneath the really bright lights. I had expected them to take me back to my cell. I turned my head left and right, hoping that they had at least took the strap off my head, but no luck. I still couldn't see any of my surroundings.

"Why am I still in here?" I asked aloud, not expecting an answer but trying anyway. To my surprise a voice spoke.

"You're here because we're not finished with you yet. We have finished a few of our tests, but we knew that you were going to wake up soon. Instead of risking you waking up during one of the tests, we decided to let you wake up and then put you right back to sleep." An unfamiliar man's voice rang out. I quickly braced myself to black out again, but the needle didn't come like I had expected. Instead, the man spoke again.

"Before we knock you out, we're going to do some more routine tests you don't need to be asleep for." The man explained in a gruff voice as I heard footsteps moving toward one of the cabinets. A few seconds later, the footsteps came back to me.

"We're going to test your reflexes." The man said as he suddenly hit my knee with the mini hammer. My leg tried to shoot up in the air, but since it was tied down it just flinched a little bit. Right after that, I heard more footsteps going to a cabinet. I didn't even know how many people were in the room with me. I could tell no differences in the footsteps.

"Now we're getting a blood sample." The man spoke again. I felt a needle going into my veins, but this time it took blood out instead of taking drugs in. When they were finished, they put a bandage on my arm to stop the blood flow.

I felt someone place a stethoscope on my heart to listen to my heartbeat. After another minute, I heard someone move to the cabinets yet again. A thermometer was forced into my mouth, and a sensor was placed onto my finger. A blood pressure cuff was used on my arm, and then taken off. Someone looked in my ears, and forced me to open my throat.

During that entire process, I didn't see any of the scientists in detail. Even when one leaned over me, the harsh light stopped me from being able to make a face, or even a gender. It seemed that because of the light, I was even more helpless than I was just being tied down. Vision is a very important sense, and I couldn't see a thing.

Suddenly, there was a loud movement outside the window. I had no idea what it might be, but I knew that it was coming from that direction. The noise didn't seem to affect any of the scientists that might be in the room with me, so I didn't think much of it. I thought that it must not be much if they didn't seem to wonder what it was.

They continued to do small tests to me, and eventually the noise faded away. Then, as a scientist was walking over to a cabinet to get the drugs to knock me out again, I heard more noise, and that time it sounded as though it was coming from inside the building. It reminded me of the sound of a door slamming, or a few doors. This time, the scientists stopped what they were doing, even the one who was getting the drugs. Then, they continued their work.

The scientist at the cabinets continued to get what he needed. I heard him start to suck the drugs into a needle, to inject me with in a moment. As he did, the sounds started to get closer and closer. The scientist with the needle finally reached my side, and pushed the needle into my body. Just as the drugs were being pushed into my system, the door was slammed open. I forced myself to fight the drugs in the system to try and see what was going on. Just as I was starting to fall asleep, the lights above me were turned off. As my eyes were starting to adjust to the new light, a figure leaned over me, calling my name. Before I could figure out who it was or what was going on, I blacked out.

------------

When I drifted awake next, I didn't have any idea where I was. I wasn't in the lab that I had fallen asleep in, and I wasn't back in my cell. I was in a room with a big, soft bed and light colored walls. I could see two doors from where I lay, and I could see two windows as well. I also noticed a TV, which confused me further. Why in the world would the lab put me in such a nice room, with two large windows. Speaking of windows, I could try and get away!

I got up from the bed quickly, so quickly that I became dizzy. I had just woken up from being drugged, it was no wonder I was so dizzy. I grabbed onto the corner of the bed for support for a second. When I was feeling better, I started to walk to one of the windows. Just as I started moving, one of the doors opened.

''Raine!" A familiar voice called. I turned quickly to look, and I couldn't believe my eyes. That looked like Jaxon, it sounded like Jaxon, but it couldn't be Jaxon.

"I've never had dreams while drugged up, but I must be having one now." I said out loud. "There's no way Jaxon could be here." The dream Jaxon frowned and took a step toward me.

"Raine, it really is me." Dream Jaxon said. I frowned in reply.

"No it's not. The real Jaxon is back in West Virginia. I'm still asleep, and this is just a crazy dream hallucination." I told the dream. He smiled and stepped even closer to me, so close that only a few inches separated us.

"Could a dream do this?" He asked, and then he leaned forward so that his lips touched mine. When I say that sparks flew, I'm not exaggerating. It felt like there was enough electricity between us that we could have lit up New York City. The kiss only lasted for a few seconds, but it was absolutely magical.

"Do you still think I'm a dream?" He asked, and I felt tears spring to my eyes. I threw my arms around him quickly.

"Jaxon! How are you here? How am I here? Where is here?" I asked, hugging him tightly. He chuckled.

"It took you long enough to ask." He said, holding me a little away from his body so I could see his face. "We're in a hotel that's in a town a few miles away from the lab. You're here because I found you." He said with a broad smile.

"How did you find me though?" I asked softly, still kind of believing that none of it was true.

"I brought the FBI in. We've been looking for you since I found out you left." He said with a soft, reassuring smile. I frowned back at him.

"You're so stubborn. Didn't I tell you to stay put, and not to try and find me?" I asked him. Jaxon laughed lightly.

"You said that, but did you actually think I would listen? Raine, I couldn't just forget about you. I couldn't just let you go Raine. Not when I knew what they could be doing to you." He said, holding me close for a moment. "Why did you leave Raine?"

"They were coming after me Jaxon. They already knew where I was, and they were going to come get me." I said softly. "By leaving you, I was making you a little bit safer."

"How was I not safe though?"

"Jaxon, they've used you as leverage this entire time. They knew that I would cooperate if there was a chance of them hurting you. I didn't want them to hurt you or your mom when they came to get me, so I just left. I'm sorry." I said, looking down at the ground. I felt him put a hand under my chin as he forced me to look up at him.

"It's ok, we're together now." He said with a smile. "I need to tell you something Raine."

"What Jaxon?" I asked quietly.

"I love you Raine." He said quietly, and my eyes widened. "I have loved you since that day you ran into the shop. That's one of the many reasons I came after you." He smiled at me fondly.

"I love you too Jaxon." I said softly. He grinned at me cheekily, and then swooped in to kiss me again.