The Run Chapter 21

Chapter 21

When I next woke up, I was inside of my old cell. The three cinderblock walls, the one wall of bars, the tiny barred-window, and the door leading to a small bathroom were all too familiar. I was laying on the only piece of furniture in the room, the small army cot. I was covered lightly with threadbare blanket that was just barely big enough to cover me. When I looked under the blanket, I had been changed into a knee-length white nightgown. My feet were completely bare. That wasn't unusual; they tended to change me after tests.

I stood up to stretch my legs, and I almost fell back down. I was so dizzy that standing up was a scary thing. I forced myself to move over to the window and held on to one of the bars to keep myself balanced. I looked out, noticing that it was early morning. I had been asleep for the entire night.

I then realized why I was dizzy. It had been over 24 hours since I had last ate or even drank anything. Suddenly, my stomach growled painfully and my throat started burning. I slowly moved back over to the bed and sat down gently. I sat my back against the wall and held my head. I was hoping that they would soon realize their mistake, because I had no way to tell them. They didn't allow anyone in the same room as my cell unless they were getting me for tests or something. They watched me with cameras everywhere though, so I was hoping my position would cause them to come check on me.

I lay there for about another hour without moving before anyone came for me. Of course, the person they sent to check on me just had to be Kelsor. With my head still in my hands, I heard him walk up to the bars and stand there. I assumed that he was just staring at me. I heard him lean on one of the bars, because of the little metallic clang it made from his watch.

"What's the matter with you?" He asked me, showing that he had only been sent by someone to check on me; he hadn't come one his own.

"I haven't ate or drank anything in well over twenty four hours." I replied casually, straightening myself to look at him. The look at his face was almost comical. He looked like he had swallowed something very sour. He must not have realized that I needed fed at some point.

"I'll get you something." He said gruffly, walking out of the room. I sighed and leaned back against the wall again. I grabbed my stomach as another hunger pain hit me.

Not more than five minutes later, Kelsor was back with a meal of some kind and a big glass of water. To this day, I have no idea what they were trying to feed me. I just know it was in a bowl, it was dark brown, and it had the consistency of apple sauce. But I promise, it tasted absolutely nothing like apple sauce.

Kelsor watched me the entire time I was eating the slop. As disgusting as it was, I spooned it up hungrily. After all, I was practically starving. I did the same with the glass of water. I ate and drank so much that Kelsor actually went to get another bowl and another glass.

I hadn't thought that I would get seconds no matter how long it had been since I had eaten. I thought that they would give me what they needed to for me to stay healthy. I decided that I must mean a lot to them. They used to just keep me healthy enough for what they wanted. they never usually gave me a surplus of anything. Something big had to be happening for the change. They wouldn't have changed that much just from me leaving. If any change, I expected them to be worse to me as punishment.

After I was finished, Kelsor held out his hands for my bowls and glasses. Feeling a little better, I walked them over to him. Without a word, he took them and walked back out of the room. Once again, I was left completely alone.

After he left, I pushed my cot over so that it was directly underneath the window. I wasn't trying to escape, the window was much too small for me to fit through. I just wanted to be able to look outside for a long time without standing next to the window. I wished that they had at least put a chair in the room, or given me a book. At least before they gave me books to pass the time and fuel my intelligence. Now, all I had was the small barred-window.