The Run Chapter 12

Chapter 12

After going through a drive through to get be a burger and some fries, Jaxon drove us over to Bonnie's Books. When we arrived, Bonnie asked me to take inventory in the back after I finished my food. She was going to Walmart to get groceries for dinner. Jaxon laughed at my apparent 'misfortune' and said that at least he didn't have to really work since the store would be starting to wind down soon.

While I was in the back of the store, I thought about Jaxon. About what I was going to tell him later, and about being his lady. Did I actually want to be his lady? I know he was joking, but I've never thought about that. That Tessa girl sure wants to be his, but do I? And even if I did, would be want me to be? To be honest, I have no idea. It's not like I have any experience or memories to base relationships off of.

How do normal teenage girls go through this all the time?

I groaned as I continued to take inventory of all the books in the back room. I smirked slightly as I heard the bell on the door ring; it looked like Jaxon would have to serve someone. This was the better job anyway, it gave me time to think. I always needed more of that.

I heard the door shut, and I could barely make out the voices of Jaxon and a man. I swore that the man's voice was familiar, but I couldn't place it. I strained to hear their words, but I couldn't make any out. I expected to hear footsteps going around the store, which would be the man browsing the books, but I didn't hear any whatsoever. That was strange; even when a customer came in looking for a particular book they'd look around and see if we had anything new.

I continued to take inventory of the books, trying my best to ignore the voices in the next room. A few seconds later, I heard the bell again as the man left, and the store became quiet. I wanted to go ask Jaxon who it was, but I didn't want to make him think I was nosy. Instead, I decided to wait until we closed up to ask.

Only a few minutes after the door closed, I heard the door to the storage room opening and I turned to look, thinking that Bonnie was back and wanted to see how I was doing. To my surprise, Jaxon was standing in the door way with a slight look of alarm on his face. I sat down the book I was holding, standing up to look him in the eyes.

"What's wrong Jax? What happened? And why are you back here, shouldn't you be watching the store?" I asked, shooting him a confused look.

"No, I closed it up early..." He said trailing off. "We need to talk."

I stood up, worried by the tone of his voice. If I was right, he sounded worried, and a little afraid. From my limited amount of experience living with him, I knew that for Jaxon to be worried it had to be something pretty bad. He normally didn't sweat the little things. So apparently, this wasn't little, whatever it was.

"What is it that couldn't wait until after we closed? If it's what we talked about earlier I'll tell you later I promise." I said as I stood, and I noticed a tiny bit of his worry drift away with my words. Not all of his worry left though, which in turn worried me.

"There was someone in here asking about you, and he had a picture." He said softly, stepping forward a little bit as I swayed a little with his words. In my head, I said a multitude of curse words. I recovered pretty quickly though, and he backed up again, probably knowing that I might need my space.

"A picture." I said, more to myself than to him. If they had a picture, they had to be from the lab. There was no way anyone else could get a picture of me. I'd never posed for any type of picture. I've only taken two since I moved in with Jaxon and his family. "What did the picture look like?" I asked softly, trying to work things out in my mind. First I wanted to know where the picture even came from.