The Run Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Mr. Mayers let me sit in his outer office with his secretary while he set everything in motion. I sat there for about half an hour, looking at Raine's cell phone that I'd apparently thrown into my pocket before I left. I was looking through everything on it, trying to see if she'd left any clues. I was hoping that maybe she'd searched for the lab's location on her own. Like, maybe she'd been looking for it on Google Maps or something. No such luck though, and the only thing I found on the phone were a couple of pictures of us together she took when she was more at ease with me. The pictures made me smile, and I sat there staring at them for probably twenty minutes.

I was snapped out of my semi-happy daze when Mr. Mayers came into the room quickly, snapping his fingers at me and having me follow him into his office. I jumped up and followed, putting Raines phone in my pocket. I shut the door as I entered the room, and I sat in the same chair I had last time. As soon as I sat down, Mayers turned to stare at me intently from behind his desk.

"We've found your friend." He said, making me sit up straighter.

"What? Where? Is she ok?" I asked quickly, barely breathing.

"She seemed fine. She was at Yeager Airport about to get on a flight with a few men. I have some of my men working to figure out what flight she was on. That was about three hours ago, so we shouldn't be very far behind them. We know that they're more than likely going to end up in an airport in Colorado, we just don't know which one." Mr. Mayers told me, starting to type on his computer.

"What are we going to do next?" I asked him quickly. Mayers smiled at me slightly.

"After my agents figure out what flight they were getting on and where they were going, we're going to follow them as quickly as possible." He informed me, still typing on the computer. He was probably asking his agents about progress.

"I'm going, right?" I asked loudly. Mayers smiled once again.

"Of course you are, I wouldn't stop you from it. You'd probably find some way to follow us anyway. Do you have everything you need to be away from home for a few nights? I'll make sure you're fed and everything so don't worry about that." He said, standing up from his seat. I stood up as well.

"I'm all set and packed. I was ready before I even came here. I have a backpack out in my truck." I said, following him to the door. Mayers opened it and walked out into the outer office.

"Go ahead and get it, and then have someone bring you back here. In the meantime I'll go see if we've found anything else out." He told me, walking out the door and down the hallway. I went in the direction of the elevators and went to the main floor, where I went outside to the parking lot. I got in my truck and pulled out my backpack, locking it behind me. Who knew when I would actually be back for it?

I went back through the security at the door, and found my own way back to Mayers' office and sat in the same couch as before. I was so on edge that I couldn't really relax; instead I sent those pictures from Raine's phone to my own. I wanted them close to me at a moment's notice.

I couldn't sit still for very long, so I went to the bathroom to splash some water on my face. It calmed me a little bit, so I went back into the outer office. I sent a text to Mom, explaining everything to her. I probably should have called her, but I didn't want to bother the secretary, who seemed hard at work on something. I sent a mass text message to all of my (and Raine's) friends, and told them that Raine was sick so I stayed home to help her. I wasn't ready to make up some excuse for her absence just yet. At least, I didn't while I still had hope that she would be back with me soon.

"What is it about this girl that has you so worked up? I mean, I know I don't know the whole story or anything, but I've never seen a guy your age work so hard for a girl." The secretary spoke, making me turn to look at her.

"First, let me tell you why it's so important that we find her anyway. The place those people are taking her, they plan to experiment on her more than they already have, and do tests on her." I said quietly, almost angrily. The way the woman talked about Raine as just another girl got me worked up. "But Raine is not just another girl." I said, thinking about her powers with a smile. "She is beautiful, gentle, sweet, and shy. But the same time, she is strong, fiery, and willful. She is like no girl that has ever been seen before, and no girl will ever be like her again. Raine is easily the best thing that has ever happened to me, and she just fell into my life by chance. I need to get her back, for reasons that help her, but mainly for my own selfish reasons." I said, smiling a bit at the secretary's mouth opened in shock.

"I love that girl, and I need her back. I need to get her away from those people so I can keep her safe for the rest of her life. So we have another year of high school, so what. I will marry that beautiful girl someday, as long as I can get her back." I told the secretary quietly, standing up from the couch. She shut her mouth and stood up as I walked to the door.

"I'm going to the bathroom. Tell Mr. Mayers that if he needs me or finds anything out I'll be back soon." I said as I started to walk out the door. She called be back into the room before I could even shut the door.

"Young man, that was beautiful. I've never seen someone so convinced of something so early in life. I can only hope that we can find your girl for you." She said with a smile, wiping her misty eyes. I nodded back slowly.

"Same here." With that, I left the room and shut the door behind me, going to the bathroom again. I was planning on throwing some water in my face again to calm myself down. Instead, I bumped into Agent Mayers just as I was walking out of the room. I stumbled a little, and Mr. Mayer reached out a hand to steady me.

"Woah there." He said, coming to a stop in front of me. "I was coming to tell you that I have some news."

"What? What did you find out?" I asked him loudly.

"Come into my office so I can keep working." He said, going into the outer office. He waved at his secretary then continued on to his own office. I followed him inside, and shut the door behind us.

"Our servers have picked up another facial recognition on Raine in the Denver International Airport on an incoming flight. We have also been able to get positive identification on the man who seems to be in charge of the group, and it matches the name you gave us. Our newest problem is that Kelsor didn't rent a car, or leave any indication behind of where they were going. We're going to look through the footage from the security cameras in the garage of the airport, and any other form of transportation nearby." Mayers said, scratching his head in thought.

"What we're about to do now is fly as many men as we can spare to Colorado so that whenever we get a clue, we can head straight there. I'm making the arrangements for us now. You said you have everything you need?" He asked me.

"Yeah." I said, nodding quickly.

"Give me twenty minutes and then be in the atrium on the main floor." Mayers told me.

"The atrium?" I asked, trying to make sure I would be there on time.

"The room that the front door brings you into." Mayers said for clarification. I nodded quickly and stood up to get my bag from the outer office. As I left, Mayers picked up the phone and started working on our transportation and other things we'd need.

After getting my backpack, I went to the bathroom and straight to the atrium, where I sat on a bench to wait for Mr. Mayers. I called Mom and told her what was going on, then I sat down to wait. Again I pulled out Raine's phone to look though pictures, and the time passed pretty quickly. Thankfully, before I knew it Mr. Mayers came out of the elevator calling for me. I was on my feet and over to him within a few seconds.

"It's time to go try and find your girl." He said with a small smile. "Are you ready?" He asked me.

"I've been ready to find her since the moment she first left me."