Chapter 3

Grover's POV

Katniss. Such a nature-like name. And Katniss did seem to be the kid of person who could survive in the woods on her own. She's equipped with a bow and a quiver slung over her shoulder, a sure sign that she's capable of defending herself. I wonder if she's going to even need training?
"Why am I here?"
My thoughts are broken by Katniss, taking in her surroundings, a serious expression on her face.
I take a deep breath and return an almost as serious gaze, "I'm not one to explain, Katniss....I'm not even sure I fully know why myself. Besides, Chiron said he would answer all your questions later."
Katniss stops dead in her tracks.
"But why? I'm not one to complain too much, but can't you at least tell me something?"
I take another long look at Katniss, and I see something so small, so deep in her eyes, it's nearly invisible to the naked eye. Fear. Not much, but just enough to understand that, Katniss may be rock solid on the outside, but she's still a teenager on the inside. I sigh and say softly,
"I'm not supposed to tell you anything. Like I said before, I don't even understand enough to explain it to you. But I'll tell you one thing. You're not like the rest of us, Katniss. I can tell," I pause, but add quickly when I see the scowl on her face, "and that's not a bad thing!"
And then I see something so unexpected happen, that I trip over a tree root and fall on the ground. Katniss is smiling.
She offers her hand to help me up. I take it and she says,
"I like you, Grover. I do hope we can be friends....In this new place....well, I'm not very good at making friends."
I smile back at Katniss. "Well, you've got one now. I'm sure you'll make more once you get claimed."
Katniss and I continue walking.
"What's being claimed? What does that mean?"
My smile grows, "I guess I can tell you something then. Being claimed is when your godly parent claims you as their child. Usually a glowing symbol above your head is all."
Katniss' smile wavers, and she looks down at her feet.
"Oh."
"Was it something I said? Katniss, what's wrong?"
Katniss lifts her head slightly, and meets my concerned gaze.
"It's just...I had two parents once. I remember. My dad died in a mining accident, but I still have my mom and sister."
I nod.
"Katniss....your dad's not dead."
Katniss' head snaps back up.
"What do you mean? He died. Many years ago. Fellow miners, his work friends that survived, came and told us personally. Even if he hadn't died that day, there's no way he would still be alive now, not with...."
Katniss quickly brushes a single tear away from her eye.
"Katniss, I know this is a lot to take in. But everyone here, we all have something in common. We all grew up with one parent. That's because the other parent was a god or goddess. I'm telling you that your dad was a god. The Mist made it seem as though he died, but really he just couldn't stay with your mother and your family. No god or goddess ever can. They have life and business on Olympus that they must always return to. That's why you never saw him after those few years."
Katniss shakes her head slowly.
"No. He's dead. It's not possible that he's a.....wait a god? Like those Greek and Roman guys?"
"Yeah. Your dad is one of those Greek guys. Tonight probably, you'll find out who he is."
Katniss sighs and says softly,
"Ok."
I come to a stop and put my arm out to stop Katniss from walking into a bench. We had arrived at the Dining Pavilion.
"Katniss, this is where you will be claimed tonight."
Katniss looks around at the numerous benches and tables. I think I hear her murmur softly, "Real.", but I don't mention it. I think I already know who her father might be. As if the bow and quiver weren't obvious enough.