Chapter 10

Katniss's POV

Liz came into the Apollo cabin this afternoon looking a bit flustered and nervous but otherwise okay. I was just finishing making our beds when I turned to see her walk through the doorway.

"Liz!" I exclaimed. It seemed like it had been forever since I last saw her.

She smiled, "Hey Katniss. How was your morning?"

My smile faltered when I remembered forgetting to wake up to see her off to the meeting. "I'm really sorry I overslept. I wanted to see you before you left for the meeting." I said apologetically, straightening her quilt.

Liz shook her head, "Oh Katniss, always worrying about me. What will you do while I'm on my quest? Count down the days 'til I'm supposed to return?"

"Every. Single. One." I said with mock seriousness.

Liz laughed at that and walked over to me. She wrapped her arms around me and hugged. "Katniss, I will miss you so much. I've only just met you, but you already feel like a big sister to me."

I bit my lip at her words. "You better be careful," I said, this time with genuine seriousness. "I don't want anything happening to you. You've been the greatest friend to me too, and I can't lose another--I mean I can't bear to think of what I'd do without you around."

"What would you do without me?" Liz asked me in an equally serious voice.

"Let's not find out, Liz."

"Okay, Katniss."

I released her from my embrace and stepped back to look at her. "You know, you've grown quite a bit since I first came here. I don't mean physically, although I suppose that's true too. I mean you are so much more mature than that young girl I hid in a tree with."

Liz rolled her eyes, "Well I am fourteen."

"That you are, Liz. That you are."

The minutes of Liz's last day turned into to hours, and those hours quickly ticked by, until it was time for her to finally leave camp for her quest.

Clarisse, Annabeth and Nico are already waiting for Liz at the top of Half-Blood Hill. They've already said their goodbyes, but I won't let Liz go without saying goodbye to me first.

I turn to Liz who is standing next to me, a brave expression painted on her beautiful face.

"Hey you." I say, smiling as she turns towards me.

"Hey yourself." She says back, smiling at the old nickname.

"You'll be great, Liz. I know it." I say embracing her once more.

"But what if I don't, Katniss?" Liz pulls back to look into my eyes. "What if I mess up? Clarisse, Nico, Annabeth, they're all older, more experienced. They've all been on quests before. What if I get us all killed? What if I-"

"You won't." I say in what I hope is a strong, reassuring voice. "Just stay together and help one another. You're more powerful together than you are apart. Don't forget that. You're ready, Liz, I know you are."

"Okay Katniss." Liz says taking a deep breath.

"You better get going." I say motioning to Half-Blood Hill. "The others are waiting."

Liz nods and turns to leave.

"And Liz," I say.

"Yeah, Katniss?"

"Be careful."

"Right."

I watch as Liz runs to catch up to Clarisse, Nico and Annabeth on top of the hill. I will admit a few tears rolled slowly down my cheeks as I watched them disappear over that hill.

Please, Apollo. Please...dad. Look after her.