Chapter 12

Liz's POV

I was awake before my eyes opened. I kept them closed so as to escape the nightmare for a little longer. This place we were in, I just couldn't believe it. It was too terrifying, I don't know how anyone could live here.

Reluctantly I opened my eyes. Early morning sunlight was streaming through the canopy of trees. I heard a quiet metallic noise to my right and turned to see Clarisse sharpening her knife.

"Sorry. Did I wake you?" She said without looking up.

"No, you didn't. It's fine. I think I'll go down to the stream to get us some more water." I said, getting up and brushing off my leggings.

"Make sure you take a weapon with you. I've been up for a while, and it's suspiciously quiet around here. Be alert." Clarisse said.

I nodded, picked up my bow, slung on my quiver and headed down to the stream with our water bottles in a bag in my other hand.

Sighing, I knelt down and dipped Annabeth's water bottle into the cool, gentle water. Once it was filled I screwed on the cap and moved on to Nico's. His bottle was still about half full and I wondered how he and Annabeth were doing. They had left last night to scope out the area, and said they probably wouldn't be back by morning. They weren't.

I heard a rustling in a tree of to my left. Slowly, I picked up my bow from where i had set it down. As quietly as I could, I notched an arrow and turned towards the sound. I saw a flash and quickly pulled back and released my arrow. It didn't hit the creature right where I was going for, but I was just surprised it hit it, with the suddenness of its movement. The creature fell to the ground with a soft thump and I cautiously walked over to it.

I gasped. I had just hit the back of a beautiful bird and it was slowly dying in pain. I hated that I was going to be responsible for its tortured death. I was a daughter of Apollo, the god of healing. Not death.

A single tear rolled down my cheek as I knelt with shaking hands and scooped of the bleeding bird. It didn't even struggle, it probably thought I was going to finish it off or something. At least I didn't have to pull the arrow out of it, as it didn't fully penetrate this poor bird.

"I'm sorry." I whispered, setting the bird gently in my lap. I let out a sob and brushed away the tears that began to flow more freely down my face. I sniffed, trying to think of what to do.

Wait. I thought. Liz, you're so stupid! You're a daughter of Apollo, the god of HEALING.

I took some water in my hand from my bottle and gently poured it on the bird's wound. It sobbed, exactly as I had just moments ago. How could it sound just like me?

I closed my eyes and thought of Apollo.

Please dad. Help me heal this bird. I didn't mean to hurt it and I don't want it to die.

You cannot heal everything, Elizabeth. My father spoke to me.

But dad, please, this bird did nothing wrong. It doesn't deserve to die.

Not many creatures do deserve to die. With this bird you must learn that death is merely a part of the circle of life.

But dad! No! I thought, fresh tears streaming from my eyes.

I apologize, Elizabeth. This is a tough lesson to learn, but it is vital to your quest.

Dad, what--why--? I began.

Goodbye, my Elizabeth. And remember this lesson. Remember what I have taught you.

My eyes shot open. In my hands lay the bird, except now it was motionless.