Chapter 2

Annabeth's POV

I wasn't exactly sure about Katniss. This 'District 12' we went to seemed like something so horrible; decaying corpses littered the ground, and it seemed as though Katniss couldn't live there. There were no other living people there. All the buildings were burned down. Why? How? I tried to think of all the possibilities, but I came up with nothing reasonable or logical. Frustrated, I followed Grover, who was leading Katniss to the Big House. Chiron was outside waiting.

"Katniss! So glad to see you made it here in one piece.", Chiron chuckled. I loved the old centaur, but sometimes I wish I knew what was going on in his head. How did he even know about the mysterious place Katniss came from?

Katniss seemed to be even more confused than I was. She was wearing a puzzled expression, and finally said,

"What is this place?"

I was glad to see she was taking this one question at a time.

"Well," Chiron started, "I'm sure your brain is swimming with thousands of questions, but they will soon all be answered." Chiron paused, then continued, "But at the moment I'm going to have Grover here give you a tour - you don't mind, Grover?"

Grover shook his head.

"Good. You go show Katniss around, I would like a word with Annabeth."

After Grover and Katniss had left, Chiron motioned for me to follow him inside the Big House.