Chapter 11

Katniss' POV

I'd like to say that the days of Liz's quest passed by quickly. But they seemed to stretch on for way too many hours. I count down the days until the day when they are supposed to return, although Chiron said it's more of an estimate of a day because quests aren't set in stone. They could come really any time around the estimated date. Or a date not so close to the estimate, depending on what kind of trouble they may run into.

I undo my braid and redo it nervously, thinking of the prophecy. I was sure this quest had something to do with me. I get a feeling of dread when I think of Liz going to any of the Districts in the state they were when I left. Or at any time.

Even though I've been here at Camp Half-Blood for almost three months now, I still feel oddly detached from the rest of the campers. I don't feel like I belong here, and the campers--although they are very friendly to me--seem a bit wary of me. I don't blame them.

I sigh, toss my braid back over my shoulder and head out towards the water's edge. I always go there when I need to clear my head.

When I reach the shore, I find Allison and Leif laughing and skipping stones with Connor and Travis.

"Hey guys." I say, picking up a smooth, flat stone and skipping it. It bounces one, two, three, four times before sinking into the water.

"What's up Katniss?" Allison asks, waving me over to a pile she's made of flat rocks.

"Not much. Just bored." I say with a shrug.

"We're having a contest to see who can get the most skips with these stones." Leif explains, picking up a rock. "Whoever wins gets a portion of everyone else's dessert tonight. You want in?"

"Sure." I say with a smile, picking up another stone.

Leif bends her body and skips her rock. Four skips.

"A good try, Leif, really. But not good enough!" Connor says with a grin. "The score to beat is seven skips. Those seven skips were courtesy of yours truly so good luck to the rest of you."

I concentrate on holding my stone straight, then skip it. It skips four, five, six, seven times before plunking into the water.

"Awe, so close!" Allison says from behind me. She walks forward with a stone and skips it. Five skips.

We keep skipping rocks until the huge pile is gone. By then Travis has beaten Connor's score of seven skips, just barely with eight. It's almost time for dinner so we say Travis is the winner. He pumps his fist in the air triumphantly as Connor and Allison pick him up on to their shoulders and carry him to the Pavilion. I laugh and run behind them with Leif.

We have to sit at our cabin tables tonight but that's okay because I have a clear view of both the Athena table and the Hermes table, so whenever Allison, Connor or Travis turn back to smirk at me I stick my tongue out at them. We eat our dinner and then it is time for our dessert and I bring my plate over to Travis.

"One brownie, for the rock-skipping champion." I say, placing the treat on his plate.

"Well thank you Katniss you're very kind. Unlike someone here who scarfed down their dessert just so they wouldn't have to share." Travis looks at Connor with an accusatory grin.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Connor says, dusting some suspiciously cake-like crumbs off his shirt.

Allison walks over with a cupcake that has a big bite taken out of it.

"What--!" Travis starts.

Allison raises a hand. "You said a portion of our dessert. It wouldn't have been a portion if I gave you the whole cupcake, now would it?"

Travis snatches the half-eaten cupcake. "You Athenians. Always find a loophole..."

I grin and high-five Allison as Leif brings over a small dish filled with fruit.

"What is this?!" Travis exclaims, motioning towards the fruit.

"Why, Travis. I would think you'd be able to recognize fruits by now. This is fruit salad, and yes, it is technically a dessert."

"Wha--but-but-" Travis stutters, his mouth hanging open.

"Eat up." Leif says before turning to go back to her table, a smug grin on her face.

Connor, Allison and I crack up at this. Travis picks up a fork and glares at the salad.

"Yeah, dude. Eat up." Connor says, thumping Travis on the back.

Travis grumbles but eats the fruit salad anyway.

That night I lay in bed wondering how Liz is doing. The Stolls said something about an Iris message. That you can use it to contact people. Maybe I will try that tomorrow.