After The Benefits End - Part 51

Okay…okay…everything is going to be okay. I just need to get to Dan. I tried to keep myself calm and not panic too much; I knew I wouldn’t be helping my baby if I began to. Taking a few deep breaths I headed towards the door but a pain rushed through me like I’d never experienced before. I grabbed onto the side to steady myself, bending over so I was grasping onto the sides of the sink for support. Breathing through my first contraction was horrible and it only got worse as it progressed, I couldn’t help but scream out in pain.

As it subsided I got my breath back and the toilet door opened. Quickly looking in the direction it was Luke’s mum. 

“Oh my god,” she gasped running towards me, “Liv what’s going on?”

“My waters just broke.” I cried. “I’m five weeks early.”

“Okay , calm down and breathe. Everything is going to be fine. Have you had any contractions yet?”

“Yes, but only one.”

“ come with me, we need to get you to the hospital. They need to check you over.”

Grasping onto Sharon, she held onto me tight as we walked out the toilets. My eyes scanned the room looking for Dan and I found him laughing by the pool table with some of the lads. His eyes clocked me and his smile soon turned to panic as he took in my panicked expression and my body position, clutching my stomach. Sharon sat me down on the nearest chair as Dan rushed over to me, followed by Evie.

“Baby what’s wrong?” Dan asked grasping my hand.

“My waters broke…Dan the baby is coming now.”

“Shit…baby everything is going to be okay. We’ve got everything ready so don’t panic. Just try staying calm and concentrating on your breathing and the contractions okay.” He replied trying to show me how calm he was and making everything okay but I could see he was just as scared as I was. I nodded gripping his hand for support.

“You had any contractions?” Evie asked me

“Just one big one. But I think I’ve had small ones all day, I’ve had twinges.”

“We’ll get you to the hospital now , don’t worry.”

“Sorry about ruining the christening.”

“ don’t even say that.” She replied and I nodded.

I stood up with the help of Dan and got into our car. “Do you think we’ve got time to go home and grab a few things first?” he asked me and I shrugged not knowing when my next contraction would be.

“Dan just get her to the bloody hospital.” Evie shouted at him, “I’ll call round at yours later and pick up some things for Liv and the baby.”

“You sure?” I gasp feeling another contraction come along.

“Yes now go.”

Forty minutes later we arrived at the hospital, my contractions were about ten, fifteen, apart but each one was getting more intense.

We got checked in before I got taken through to get checked out by the midwife. Dan helped me get changed into the gown and helping me onto the bed.

“You’re going to do great baby.” Dan smiled kissing my head gently

“Stay with me.”

“You wouldn’t catch me going anywhere.”

Just then the door opened and my midwife Jayne comes in. “Hey…how you doing?”

“So far so good.” I smiled gripping onto Dan’s hand tightly.

“Good, well I’ve just started my shift so hopefully I’ll be with you for your full labour.”