12: Forgiveness

You are on your way home with Naruto by your side and Yamato following behind closely as you and Naruto both hold a stack of comics that happen to be Naruto's favorite series. 

"You're telling me that I can come over any time to read these at your house?" asks Naruto, still in shock that you bought the whole series. 

"Yup, I'd give them to you, but I spent a lot of money and would like to read them myself whilst making sure they're in good conditions for many years ahead," you answer. 

"O-Of course!" stutters Naruto, still amazed that you had enough money to pay for this many books. 

"You can help me make room on my shelf for these novels too, if that's not a lot to ask for," you say as you turn the corner to find Neji knocking on your house with... Yamato? 

"That's my clone, since you two live directly next to one another, I watch over you both," answers Yamato as he clears up confusion. 

As you three get closer to the young Hyuga, Yamato's clone disperses, causing Neji to turn around and greet you. 

"Good afternoon (y/n), Yamato, and trouble," greets Neji. 

Before Naruto could give Neji a piece of his mind, you reply first, "Naruto is not trouble. He is quite kind and much better company than yours. At least he is capable of being polite."

"(y/n), you're barely respectful towards me-" you cut him off.

"You should earn my respect again, anyways, what brings you to my establishment?" you ask, watching Neji's surprised look turn stoic once more. 

"I- I just wanted to check on you and make sure you're doing alright," states Neji, trying not to blush. 

"Ah, well, thank you. I apologize for being rude previously; however, you should still be polite," you reply as you walk passed Neji into your house being followed by Naruto and Yamato. 

Neji stands there as if he is waiting for another response. 

"Neji close the door and help us make room on my shelf instead of standing there like an idiot!" you yell as you make your way down the hall. 

Soon enough, you four find yourselves in a room with many bookshelves. You inform everyone that you prefer to alphabetize your novels by author and if there is more than one novel with the same author, then by title. After an hour of work, all of you, excluding Naruto who is sitting in your beanbag chair reading as many comics as he can, are in the kitchen getting refreshments. You thank Neji and Yamato for assisting in the process of alphabetizing comics on the shelf. They both inform you that it was no problem. 

"I know this may be untimely, but I'd like to apologize for what occurred last night," apologizes Neji. 

"It's alright Neji. I asked for the information anyways," you reply, sipping your cup of orange juice. 

"I would also like to apologize for my outbursts, all of them," apologizes Neji once again. 

You sigh, "That stuff hurt me Neji. It really hurt me, and then for you to tell me that you love me about a week after? That really screws with me, ya know."

"I understand. You don't have to forgive me, but I want to let you know that I'm truly sorry and that I do care for you," says Neji. 

You ponder at Neji's response, wondering if you should finally forgive him. 

"I'll forgive you Neji, but you'll still have to gain my trust again," you finally say after a minute of awkward silence. 

Neji smiles, catching you off-guard due to how genuine his smile looks, "Thank you (y/n). I promise to work towards such trust to hopefully become best friends with you one day."

"Alright, just don't get soft on me, nerd," you say, trying to avoid eye contact. 

"Whatever," mumbles Neji with a soft chuckle. 

"Finish up your tea and go home, I'm sure your family is wondering where you're at anyways," you say in an attempt to get Neji out of your sight before you regret your decision. 

"I suppose you're correct (y/n)," answers Neji as he places his cup in the sink, thanks you for the beverage, and excuses himself out of the house with Yamato's clone following behind.

You sat at your dining table next to Yamato and sigh. 

"What's wrong?" asks Yamato. 

"I'm not quite sure if I did the right thing."

"Well, I think you were very mature about it. Personally, I believe you should try to work with Neji and give him a chance once more. Yes, he was terrible towards you, but he wants to repent for his wrong-doings. Besides, if he turns out to hurt you, I'll make sure he never hears the end of it," chuckles Yamato, causing you to giggle at the end. 

"Thank you Yamato. I know you're here to just guard me from dangers, but I really do appreciate your company," you smile. 

"You're welcome. Ya know, you should check on Naruto to make sure he's not drooling on any of the pages," suggest Yamato with a silly smile. 

"I'm sure he hasn't fallen asleep. I mean, he was going nuts over this series, so I'm sure he's still reading away, but I will go check on him and probably start the series too since he's probably on comic three," you say as you make your way up the stairs and down the hallways once more. 

You turn the corner into your personal library to find Naruto in the same place you left him, quietly analyzing the pages of a new comic. You walk over and sit on the floor next to him. 

"How's the series?" you ask smiling. 

"Really good now that I don't get kicked out for reading," giggles Naruto. 

"That wonderful! Pass me the first book so I can start myself," you say, being handed what you assume to be the first novel of Naruto's favorite series. 

You thank Naruto and begin to read. A few chapters in, Naruto stops you and starts conversing with you.

"You must be treated so well by your family if you're allowed to spend all that money on these books," notes Naruto, not realizing that you both share the same situation with different experiences. 

"Well, my family is dead and I was left with their fortune so," you awkwardly avoid eye contact, waiting for Naruto's response.