Chapter 22

BAAM!! BAAM!! BAAM!! Safiya tried her best to kick the door down but whatever lock Seto had installed kept the door bolted shut. Frustrated, the young woman leaned up against and heaved heavily.

Seto... The coldness in his eyes... I understand now. Before his past self shattered the Puzzle, he made a wish. Just like Atem, he wanted to find me. He was brought back into this life and began to build his own empire... his own kingdom so that he could be Pharaoh of this land. That's your sole wish, isn't it Seto? You want everything Atem had. She reached down inside her pocket and pulled out the blank card. She could not stay in this room. Seto was on his way to take Atem down and without this card, he would not stand a chance against him. Atem...

There was a rustle coming from behind her. The young woman turned around ready to take on whatever trap Seto left behind for her. She waited until a body rolled from behind the door. 

"Mokuba?" Safiya said. "What are you doing here? Does Seto know you're here?"

The young boy looked about the room and put his left index finger to his lips.

"No." Mokuba replied. "And I'm getting you out of here."

"Why?"

The young boy paused at the door. Mokuba sensed that she knew he had been listening behind the door without his brother knowing. 

"Are you sure you want to go through with this?" He asked with his back still towards her.

Safiya knew what he was doing. Giving her a second chance to change her mind. To give up the idea of being with Atem... of sacrificing her life to save others. The memories she had made with Seto and Mokuba flooded her mind. Those fond times they shared together touched her deeply. Safiya did not want to die. Her real desire was to have a normal, peaceful life and live to see her children grow. By marrying Seto, that desire would be possible. I am afraid. Is it wrong? Is it wrong to want something as simple as life? But...

She breathed in and replied.

"Yes."

The young boy said nothing and opened the door which led into another room. Safiya looked around the room trying to figure out how she was going to escape. She figured going through the front door would not work because Seto posted two of his security men out front. And the window option was out of the question as well. All of a sudden, her eye was caught on Mokuba climbing upon one of the table chairs and removing the silver grill from the air vent. He turned to face her. That was her ticket out.

*

The hotel complex buzzed with excitement as each awaiting duelist swarmed into the building itching to duel one another and have a shot at being crowned world champion. Many of the participants heard Yugi's arrival and began to spread talk of him possibly entering into the tournament himself. Some of the young novelties wanted to meet this legendary duelist who carried the title King of Games.

Meanwhile, Safiya ran down the hallway breathing heavily as she ducked every possible person who might recognize her. Mokuba had guided her away from the room and into the lower levels of the hotel. They agreed to split up. The young boy would find Seto and stay by his side to prevent suspicions. The young woman ran faster. She had to hurry. She had to get to Atem before Kaiba reaches him. The young woman looked down at her watch. Only thirty minutes left before the opening ceremony which was taking place in the main stadium in the center of the property. In order to get there, Safiya had to pass through the main hub of the convention center. She approached the white balcony railing and looked down at the main floor. She let out a disappointing sigh. There was no way she could walk through the main lobby incognito. Every possible news media was covering the event.