Chapter 12

Safiya sprinted down the dimly lit hallway. She stopped momentarily and leaned up against one of the pillars trembling.

"What did I just witness?" She murmured, trying to catch her breath. The whole palace was in a state of shock after the appalling acts of Bandit King Bakura. He overwhelmed the sacred guardians with his powerful Ka, Diabound, and blasphemed the Pharaoh by dragging the mummified body of the late Pharaoh Aknamkanon into the court. Outraged, Atem stepped in and challenged him. He summoned the great god, Obelisk the Tormentor.

Safiya hid herself behind one of the walls and watched the two creatures battle each other. At first, Atem seemed to be successful but Diabound managed to find a way to break the power struggle, allowing the semi-wounded Bakura to escape. She placed her hands upon her throbbing head. A distance memory emerged from the depths of her mind. "Shadow Games? Atem?" She could still feel the palace shaking as the two monsters clashed in equal strength. A chill swept over her body, causing her trembling to violently increase. "There's a dark presence looming over this land. What is to become of Egypt?"

She had to find a safe place where she could think. She gathered what little strength she had and headed towards garden. Safiya could hear the guards shouting. The palace was on high alert. The young woman finally reached center of the garden and collapsed at the lily pool heavily breathing. Why was she on edge? What was this fear washing over her? Suddenly, she felt the sharp, cold steel blade against her neck. She tried to scream but a large slender hand covered her mouth.

"It seems the palace life is much more pleasant than the cold dirty streets," Bakura said with a chuckle.

Safiya used her elbow to knock him in the stomach, causing him to lose his grip on the dagger. The young woman freed herself, acquired the weapon and whirled around to meet his face, poised to strike him down.

"You! I should kill you for disrespecting the king, defiling the sacred court, robbing the tomb of the late Pharaoh and trespassing on holy ground."

"Come now, Safiya. Is that anyway to talk to an old friend?" He said while still partly remaining in the shadows. Safiya remained poised to strike him. He gave another a slight chuckle as he took one step forward. "I see you haven't lost your touch, but I find it rather shameful that you would allow yourself to get caught by the palace guards and a fat merchant over stealing something as simple as a loaf of bread."

The young woman flinched.

"How do you know?"

"My dear, I have eyes everywhere," he began. "However, I will commend you. Out of your pathetic capture, you managed to turn it into your advantage. A common orphan thief who used her charms and beauty to tame the Pharaoh's heart is now living in the palace and enjoying all the luxuries the kingdom has to offer. It doesn't matter how many tombs I've raided—you are the Queen of the Thieves!" He paused, slightly. "Yet in all those riches, did you forget about those who are hungry and struggling to survive?"

He took another step forward.

"Not another step," she warned him, still holding the blade at a deadly angle.

The thief paused again. He looked into her eyes. So, it is true. She has no memory of her past. I'll use that to my advantage.

"Do you remember when we first met? You were playing in the valley at the gorge, not far from where I lived. You slipped and nearly fell to your death, but I saved you. From that day, I never forgot your smile. I came to that valley every day in the hopes of meeting you again." His eyes travelled towards the golden slender object around her neck. "I see you took care of my mother's necklace."