Chapter 19

Atem felt his whole body jolt in pain as Mahad took another forceful hit. The attack from the White Dragon was proving to be taxing on the Pharaoh. And Seto was showing no mercy. The continuous attacks continued as the young priest advanced forward.

"You insult me!" Seto said holding up his Rod. "Do you really think you can defeat me with him? This only proves that you are unworthy of having the throne and Safiya. Once I've killed you, I'll claim her, strip her of her powers and no one will be able to stop me!"

"That's enough, Seto!" Atem shouted. "This madness ends right now! Mahad!"

The Pharaoh was becoming exhausted. The fight between them had lasted longer than he anticipated and Zorc, who was once a spirit, had taken on his true bodily form and was heading towards the city, destroying everyone and everything in his path. Atem had to put an end to this battle. The army would not be able to hold off for long. Yet Seto's rage against him proved to be a difficult challenge. The more Atem fought, the harder Seto pushed back. On top of that, Aknadin's spirit had merged with the young priest causing their magic to be twice as powerful. Mahad moved forward again with his Rod steadily emitting a strong glow. Seto laughed again as Aknadin spoke through him.

"It's useless, nephew!" He declared. "The magic flowing into the White Dragon is stronger than your feeble servant!"

Mahad prepared for a counterattack. There was strong immeasurable strength resonating from the dragon which shook him and the Pharaoh to their core. Even Atem sensed this creature rivaled that of the Egyptian gods and could destroy him.

"He's right, my king." Mahad said. "We must be careful."

Atem still believed there was a chance to defeat Aknadin and save his cousin. He called forth Mahad to attack but he was too slow. The White Dragon countered and easily destroyed the stone tablet. Mahad painful cry shot through Atem's ears as his servant disappeared. The incredible blast sent Atem flying. He landed not far from the battle sight. His Ba was reaching its limits. He needed to defend himself before the dragon struck again.

I can't die here... I have to keep fighting. Atem thought to himself as he struggled to his feet. The last attack nearly did him in. If I die here, everyone will perish. A vision of Safiya smiling flashed before his eyes. I have to protect you no matter what. I will protect you. I believe in our future.

*

Meanwhile, Safiya hunched over on the ground on all fours breathing heavily. All around her was quiet except for the few crackles and hums of the torch blazing. She could feel the warm glow over her as she gathered her thoughts. In her heart of hearts, she knew that what she had witnessed were true events of the past. Moments which finally brought her here. 

"I remember..." She murmured under her breath. "I am the daughter of Amon and Nefret. I am a descendant of the those who served the goddess Isis and who's ancestors reaches west of Egypt. It was our duty to protect the royal family from outsiders protected by Isis. That's why I was born..."

The seal was finally broken. All the shard puzzle pieces of her memories had completed a full picture.

"Safiya." Came a gentle voice.

The young woman looked up to see a man in a white robe standing before her. Tears welled up in her eyes.

"Papa." Safiya recognized his gentle eyes. It was him. Osiris had allowed Amon to travel to the world of the living to see his daughter. Yet, there was no time for a festive reunion. She quickly wiped the tears away and stood to her feet. "Papa, I must go. I have to help Atem save Egypt! Our future is at stake."