Chapter 8

"Marriage!" Atem shouted nearly losing his temper.

"I believe a suitable marriage would give the empire a sense of security." Aknadin said. "As Pharaoh, it is imperative to have a queen and it is your duty to produce an heir to preserve your legacy."

Shimon nodded in agreement.

"He is right, Divine One." He replied.

"Yes, I know all of this but why now?" Atem asked. "My father did not rush into marriage when he was crowned king. I thought I reserved the right to choose my own bride."

"As one of your loyal guardians, I believe it is best that I, along with Shimon, assemble the most suitable candidates for your majesty." Aknadin said with assured confidence. He knew Atem would protest the idea but the old guardian continued before the young ruler could utter another word. "I can assure you that you will not be disappointed. We will search high and low throughout your vast empire for the one who will please the king."

"But..."

"It was your father's last wish to me. And I am determined to keep my word."

Seeing how he was outnumbered, Atem reluctantly nodded in agreement. Aknadin and Shimon left to begin their search. Mahad emerged to the king's side.

"I don't like this." Atem murmured as he gritted his teeth.

"You can always refuse, sire." Mahad said. "It is in your power to do so if a candidate does not suit you."

"He could refuse." Seto began coming to the other side of Atem. "But it would be an offense to the people. Once again Mahad, you have proven to be unfit as the Pharaoh's counsel. I should also point out that he would also insult the gods as well. And we don't want their wrath upon us, now do we?"

"He's right." Atem said solemnly turning to Mahad. "I thank you for your advice and appreciate it with great earnest, but Seto has reminded me that I am bound by the people, my country and the gods."

Mahad tried to defend himself but Atem held up his hand ceasing the arguement between the two guardians. Mahad bit his lower lip, turned the king and bowed before dismissing himself. Seto imitated the same manner and followed his comrade out into the great hallway.

"Must you always be so critical?" Mahad asked as Seto stopped not too far behind him. "It must amuse you to undermine me."

"I am only pointing out your flaws which seemed to be numerous lately." Seto said folding his arms across his chest. "And trying to get you to see that your way of thinking will not move the kingdom forward. Besides, we still have the matter of Safiya. As head of security, I thought you might have had answer by now."

Mahad bit his lower lip again but stood his ground. He did have an idea but he was not about to share his findings with the young priest, no matter how much the others trusted him. Granted, Seto brought much strength out of the group through his blunt honesty. But Mahad feared for the girl's life. This was one secret that would remain with him until he had more solid information.

I need more time.

"I am aware of my duties, Seto." He said in a huff. "I don't need to remind you of your own. If you'll excuse me."

The sorcerer turned on his heels and left the pompous priest in the hallway. Mahad found himself in deep thought. He knew Atem better than anyone else. Although it was tradition for a Pharaoh to choose a young woman for a possible candidate as queen, he felt it was too early for Atem. Aknadin was determined to forging a union and Mahad had an idea who might be the top choice.

*

"It is only natural that you be chosen to be the next queen of Egypt." Aknadin said to the young woman who sat on the edge of the balcony watching the people in the courtyard go about their daily routines. "By marrying the Pharaoh, Egypt will be safe."