Chapter 30: Isibel

Chapter 30: Isibel

Isibel had been able to stay at Jo's house, not a problem. The problem was school the next day. It was a struggle to even get herself out of bed, and a bigger challenge yet not to use her new-found powers in front of Johanna. It was weird not being able to tell Jo everything, but the less people that knew, the better. She had been able to magic up a change of clothes without  Jo becoming too suspicious, but Jo's mom had asked some awfully suspicious questions about her lack of an overnight bag and the newly aquired clothes. Oh well.

Jo had happily agreed to forgo the bus service that morning, and request a ride from her mom. Pulling up to school in a Mercedes Benz was better than the yellow germ tanks. Yes, she'd changed yesterday, but that didn't mean she'd be happy to ride one of those child-infested death traps. She could have just flown, but that presented more problems than it solved. And Isis had told her that today was not a good day for magic, for whatever reason. Izzy reckonned the goddess had P.M.S this morning, if that was possible.

Athelia and her had exchanged some polite coversation that morning, nothing that would make Isibel's group suspicious, but much more nice and cheerful than her usual, regal head nod, that invited no conversation. And being the genius' friend was deffinitely a perk. Classics was a lot easier sitting next to Athelia. The girl literally had a direct connection to the myths and ledgends of Greece and Rome, and their new-found comraderie was bound to pay off grades-wise eventually, Isibel noted to her relief.  History, too, passed without incident, and all too soon it was time for lunch.

'Remember about your idea.' Isis reminded her as she entered the cafeteria. Izzy felt a small buzz of excitement. Despite the fact that she would be breaking the unspoken code of cafeteria seating, she was more than ready to try convince her group to accept Athelia's, and vice versa. She flounced into line with Jo, and gathered her food, before heading towards the table beside Athelia's group.

"Where are you going?" Jo hissed at her in a low undertone. Lia's table was about as far from theirs as Pluto is from earth, and as soon as she left the line it was obvious she was headed in the 'wrong' direction.
"I thought we could try eating lunch over here today." She said, trying to sound nochalant, while still walking, which was attracting some attention.
What? You want to sit with the Nerd Herd? What's going on?" Jo demanded.
"I happen to appreciate Athelia's help in Classics, so I am going to sit there as a symbol of appreciation." Izzy said grandly. Johanna looked like she was trying to hold in laughter.
"Yeah right." She managed to choke out. Izzy sighed, but continued heading towards Athelia's strangely quiet group.

"Afternoon, Athelia." She said as she reached their table. She was well aware of the cafeteria's eyes on her, and right then, she didn't care. "Mind if I sit?" 
"Sure." Athelia enthused. Isibel noticed than that Thalia, Cecily and Katerina were all staring at her like she'd killed someone. Diana was absent, aparently.
"Ah, Lia." Thalia spoke up. "I'm going to channel Di here for a sec - WHAT THE HELL?" Athelia, to her credit, looked appropriately abashed, although stood her ground.
"Ta, why can't we let her sit here?"
"Maybe beacuse she's Queen B. And that's B for Beotch, FYI. Have you lost your mind?" Thalia said, glaring at Isibel, and by default, Jo, who was loyally standing over her shoulder. Isibel wasn't bothered in the slightest. 

"She really isn't, Ta. Izzy, do you want to pull another tabel over?" Athelia suggested. Jo gasped in sync with Thalia. Izzy nodded and put her tray down.
"Izzy?" Thalia spat out. "Would you care to enlighten us about what the hell is going on here, Athelia?" Isibel heard as she grabbed the usually empty table next to Lia's group.
"Thalia, please just be nice. Izzy isn't actually that bad. Jen will back me up on that too." Isibel looked up from the table she was dragging in time to see the look of shock on Thalia's face. It was hilarious.