Chapter 25: Isibel

Chapter 25: Isibel

The freedom felt fantastic. The feeling of power and grace that came from surfing on air currents on your own wings was one of the best feelings in the world, Isibel decided.

'I'm glad you're feeling better, Izzy.' Isibel told her as they swooped over the buildings and trees of Lumen on their way to Isibel's house.

'I'm glad too.' She replied. 'It's nice to feel free and void of responsibility. ' Isis laughed at this.

'Long may it last, eh child?'  Isibel bristled at the child comment, but otherwise left it alone.

'What do you think my parents are going to say?' She asked softly, coming down off her initial buzz at flying again.

'I don't know, Isibel. I really don't know.' 

'Comforting.' Isibel thought back sarcastically.

"Hey, Isibel? Isn't that your place?" Athelia's voice broke through her silent conversation with Isis. This kind of telepathy definitely had it's uses, Isibel reflected, but at times like this, the interruption wasn't appreciated. Nevertheless, she confirmed Athelia's suspicions.

"Yeah. But we're going to have to change a ways down the street and walk back." Isibel explained. "I can't just fly in the window and change there! My parents, Mom especially, are already on meds. I really don't need them freaking out on top of my already crappy day."

"Oh." Athelia replied, apologetically. 

They flew in silence for a few more minutes, before Isibel lead them in a spiral dive towards the alley she had used to change two nights earlier. She landed gracefully, thanks to Isis' direction, and prepared for the tingly feeling of the change, picturing herself in her usual jeans and crop top ensemble, with her hair up in a ponytail, a leather jacket and high-tops. But the feeling of transformation never came. She just stood there, a Kite, on the ground, while Athelia looked at her in concern.

"Are you okay, Isibel?" She asked. Isibel tried to say yes, but only a bird call came out.

'What's wrong with me?' She asked Isis, panicked. 

'You're not letting me change you back!' Isis cried. 'You have to want to be human for me to change you. You're obviously more comfortable in your bird form at the moment, and I can't do a thing about it!' The normally calm goddess sounded panicked.

Isibel pondered that. Of course she felt more comfortable in her bird form at the moment. She didn't have to look at her face and see the face of a killer. She didn't have to see her hands and remember the flames that consumed a man. In this form, no one would ever imprison her, or look at her in horror. She wasn't Isibel in this form, and all the guilt and responsibility that came with that name were mere memories. She could be something else, something new. The possibilities were endless. There were no strings attached, and she could be completely free.

Isis had sat in silence, listening to Isibel ponder her dilemma, and when she was done, spoke up.

'You did what you had to, Izzy.' She tried to comfort the partially depressed teen. 'You need to see the good in what you did, and move on. Now suck it up and realize that being a bird won't solve all your problems. You have things to fix. You need to be human. Now. Concentrate on the good side of being human, and we'll try again. Athelia's getting worried.' And it was true. When Isibel focused on Athelia, she saw that the blonde girl was looking anxious. Isis was right. She had to change back, for others, if not for herself.