Chapter 12: Isibel

Chapter 12: Isibel

Athelia's cry warned Isibel of the danger a second before she would have sensed the danger herself. But that second saved her life. It allowed her to duck under the razor sharp beak of the falcon which had decided to make Athelia its prey, and pull in her wings, which caused her to plummet towards the earth at an incredible speed. While she was free falling through the air, she caught sight of Athelia, struggling to keep out of the talons of the bigger bird, and she sighed internally. It looked like she would have to go and save the blond-girl-turned-tiny-bird from becoming falcon chow.

She broke her dive by pulling her wings out, which decreased the wind resistance.

'Are you sure you know what you're doing?' Isis interrupted her intervention plan.

'I'm sure. Now are you going to help or shut up?' Isibel asked her petulantly.

'I'll help. You'll need it.' Isis said. Isibel switched her focus to the fight, and got ready to help Athelia out of her predicament.

Truth be told, Athelia was doing okay for herself. Sure she was also only one mistake away from being killed by the larger, more aerodynamic bird, but she was doing fine right then. Her smaller body enabled her to make quicker changes in direction, but the sheer prowess of the larger bird was more than a fair match for her one advantage, and the falcon was starting to wear Athelia down. She was trying to get to the ground, but every time she dived, the falcon was there already, it's beak snapping at her feathers and it's talons barring the way. It was time for Izzy to intervene.

She swooped down at the falcon, her own talons reaching for the offenders feathers and skin. She made contact and pulled her wings down hard, pulling herself back up into the sky attached to the falcon still. A harsh cry from the bird let her know that she had succeeded at distracting the falcon from it's deadly game, and out of the corner of her bird eye, she saw Athelia streaking towards ground. Her problem? The falcon was after her.

Diana dodged the first attack, and the second. By the forth direction change, she was tiring.

'I thought you were going to help.' She thought sarcastically at Isis.

'I am.' Came the strained reply. A second later, Isibel realized what Isis was up to. The wind that had all but died down was now back in force, but none of it touched Izzy. It was all being directed straight at the falcon, who was now struggling to stay in the air, let alone attack Isibel.

'Oh.' Was her eloquent reply.

'Oh indeed.' Isis' voice was less strained now, with a hint of a smile in it. 'You know, it's not the easiest thing to call up a wind.' Isibel felt adequately chastised.

'Should we go find Athelia?' She asked.

'Yes. I think a change of form would be a good idea.' Isis confirmed. Izzy agreed, and sent her avian body into a downwards plunge.

Just before she hit the ground, she let her wings spread and catch the wind, which allowed her to settle gently on the ground near where Athelia was. Instantly, she felt the tingling sensation of the change start to come over her, and before she knew it, she was back to her usual height, the world back in proportion, and in her own body. They weren't her clothes though. She was in a similar garb to what she had ended up in after her last flying incident. It was a black material this time, however, less see through than the last, and her shoes were more covered over, and less calf grabbing. She didn't need to look in a mirror to know she had traditional Egyptian make-up on.

'Can I wear something more... Modern?' She asked Isis hesitantly. Last time, she'd had a chewing out.

'I believe that under the circumstances that would be in order.' Isis replied formally. 'You should probably visualize what you would like to wear.' Izzy pulled up a picture in her mind of her favourite jeans, her Diesel high-tops, a tank top, leather jacket and pictured her hair straight down her back to her waistline. She really hoped that Isis could lengthen her hair. Another funny tingling later, and Isibel was in the desired outfit, and feeling much, much better about her situation.