Chapter 23: Diana

Chapter 23: Diana

Diana sighed as Basira came to the end of her explanation. It was a good one, granted, except she didn't think that they could all remember it. It had started off simple enough - They were in the hut wondering what was going to happen to them - but then it escalated into a blow-by-blow of the fight, most of which was utter garbage and would be impossible to keep straight. Basira herself wasn't even sure that she remembered it right.

"It looks like we're going to have to destroy that statement." Aren commented snarkly. Basira just glared at him.

"I was under a lot of pressure, you know?" She fumed, defending her actions. "It was kinda spur of the moment stuff, remember?" Diana decided this was her cue to intervene.

"Hey, guys. Chill. Aren, your a dude, so shut up. Basira, you're a ninja cat, so I'm pleasantly requesting you to refrain from speaking. Dulucie, what do you think we should do?" A plan was already forming in Diana's head, but as the obvious leader of the group, she had to check for a better plan.

"I think that we need to destroy that statement. Sorry, Sara." Dulucie said, turning her apologetic face to Basira as she said the last part, who glared balefully in return.

"Okay." Diana stepped in. "We'll destroy it. Majority wins. I'm thinking that..." A tap on the shoulder shocked her from her train of thought. She spun around quickly to survey the danger.

It was Jack, the senior that had interrupted them on the bus. Diana was immediately suspicious.

"What do you want?" She asked rudely. Jack just laughed.

"Actually, I wanted to come talk to you guys. I heard you are the ones to see about any... Um... Crazy stuff." He sounded embarrassed, and Diana immediately saw a way to exploit the fact.

"Crazy stuff? Are you having hallucinations? Hearing voices? Talking to imaginary friends? Sleepwalking? We're not freaking phycaiatrists, you know?" His blush confirmed that at least some of those symptoms were present. Diana raised her voice. "Hey everyone! Jack's crazy! He's hearing...Urgnph!" She was cut off by a large, and disgustingly male hand, being placed over her mouth.

"Not so loud, eh?" Jack laughed in her ear. But his voice was strained. People had turned to look, and he waved them off cheerfully.

"Mhep mhe dgho!" Diana choked out from behind the hand. Basira laughed, and Jack shook his head.

"What was that?" He asked with exaggerated stupidity. On second thoughts, it was just natural stupidity, Diana decided. She licked his hand instead, like she used to do to her dad. "Ewww!" He exclaimed, letting go immediately. Diana felt gratified, and smiled evilly over her shoulder at Jack.

"I said, let me go." She said with fake sincerity, then spat on the ground to get rid of the boy germs in her mouth. Jack may have been cute, but still, gross.

Wait! Cute? Diana shook her head to rid herself of those thoughts. Boys weren't cute. They were gross, and dirty and obsessed with short skirts and cleavage. Cute was the last thing they were. Her internal dilemma was interrupted by Basira.

"So, Jack." She started flirtatiously. Diana rolled her eyes. "What was it you wanted to talk to us about?" Jack took a huge calming breath.

"Well, I'm much like all of you. A Guarder. Except that I obviously have two years of experience over you. I'm Guarding Anubis, the Egyptian God of Embalming and Funerals, and I'd like to help you guys out a bit before the Equinox, if you don't mind." Diana's jaw dropped. She thought that he was going to be admitting for the first time that he was hearing things. She wasn't expecting a seasoned Guarder. Looking around at the rest of them, Diana saw that the other's reactions were much the same.