Chapter 6

Graces p.o.v.

Life has been great since that night. This past week Bob has been kind, a gentleman, and never fails to amaze me. I may not be the cheesy romantic type but I was starting to like it thanks to him.

Tonight he was taking me to the dingo since we take turns going to greaser and soc places. Some people would give us dirty stares but nothing more.

It was only 4:30 and he was picking me up at 6:00. I was bored miserable so I decided to get into some trouble with dal. Of course I got caught stealing cigarettes, got a warning, and dropped off home. Darry threatened to ground me even though he wasn't my dad and other things.

Why is my life so boring?

At 6:00 bob was there and usually one of the boys escorted me to the vehicle. It was Johnnys turn so today we got no escort. Johnny was scared something awful of socs but I was never told why.

When we sat down to order and our waitress came she asked for our drink order. Well, more like asked bob, winking. Luckily bob payed no attention and his eyes were on me the whole time. We both got cheeseburgers and shared a chocolate shake.

Bob left to go to the bathroom and the waitress marched up to me. "Stop trying you'll never be good enough so just back off." She snapped and walked away before I could respond. The rest of the time there I was silent. Maybe I wasn't good enough.

When we got in the car I was still silent. "Baby, what's wrong?" Bob asked. I looked him right in the eyes. "Bob am I good enough for you?" I asked. He looked baffled. "Baby you're perfect in every way I love you." I sighed. "Ok." I mumbled. "Lainey who put that idea in your head?" He said.

When I told him the story he went back in and came back out 20minutes later. "Bob what did you do?" I asked, worried he got into trouble. "Chill baby, I only got her fired." He smirked, proud of himself. "Thank you bob." I grinned and kissed him.

We were both bored but not ready to go home so we went to a party. It was really fun and I did a lot of crazy things.

Everything went ok until bob and I entered a beer chugging competition. "Oh bob really? You're with this grease again?" One of the boys smirked. Bob clenched his fists. I forgot to mention he had a fighting issue and I hated when he fought specifically. I was just scared he would get hurt. "Bob don't, he's not worth it I whispered looking up at him and putting my hands on his chest. He finally looked down at me and his features softened.

"Bob let's go." I whispered and he nodded his head. Just as we were almost out the door the guy hollered, "and now you're listening to the Curtis gangs sloppy seconds, how pathetic."

I saw it in his eyes, he snapped. He tackled the guy out of no where. Why couldn't he control himself? At least for me? I don't know how the rest of the fight went, because I was already walking away. I was so angry with him. "Come on Grace he had it comin to him." I heard bob say. I ignored him and kept walking. I just passed the car. "Oh come on at least let me give you a ride home." He sighed. "Get in the car Grace." He said, irritated. I continued to ignore him. "Dammit!" He slammed his hand on the hood of the car. "Just get in the car Grace!" He yelled. I froze. Too scared to say no.

Bobs p.o.v.

I couldn't help it. He insulted her. I may not like the Curtis gang but I do care about her. I love her no matter who hits on me or what social classes we're in. Even who out siblings are. So why did she have to be so dramatic? Girls are too confusing.

When it told her to get in the car a second time she froze. When she turned around I could see she was scared. Even if she was a Winston everybody's scared of something. I hate the fact that it might be me.

She crawled in. I went to grab her hand but she pulled it back. "Don't touch me." She growled. "Grace I'm so-" I started. "Stop apologizing if you don't mean it!" She snapped. What the hell! I do mean the apology I'm trying to stop fighting but sometimes I can't help it!

She sighed when I didn't respond. I brought her home. I went to get out to take her to the porch. She sighed again. "Don't bother. I'm a Winston I can handle myself." She said a little softer.

She got to the house and slammed the door. I grabbed her wrist, a little harder than I meant.
"Let me go!" She yelled and I did after I whispered I love you.

She got to the house and slammed the door.

I sighed. Maybe it's not too late to catch a drink and find some trouble.

Graces p.o.v.

He left a mark on my wrist. I had to hide it from the gang. I ran into the bathroom as tears formed on my eyes. I heard a knock on the door. Dammit the makeup bag won't open!

"Grace are you okay?" I hear a soft voice that could only belong to soda. "I'm fine!" I yelled without meaning to. My voice cracked.

"No, you're not." I heard a blunt, more mature voice say. Darry was outside of the door. "Yes I am!" I said, letting out a sob. The zipper was stuck on the damn bag!

I just sat on the floor of the bathroom. "Just leave me alone!" I said. They did.

About an hour later there was another bang on the door rougher, meaner. "Grace Marie Winston!" Dallas yelled. "You have ten seconds before I break the door down!" He yelled again. I didn't respond. I finally got my tears under control. I just want bob.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10

BAM!

The door fell in. There Dallas stood.

Dallas p.o.v.

I just stood there, pissed. What did he do to my sister?

"Dally." she whispered. She was trying to hide her wrist. I narrowed my eyes and grabbed her wrist, expecting to see cuts. But I saw worse.