Chapter 7

Walking into work the next morning I had never been so nervous, my plan today is to avoid Xavier as much as possible, cowardly I know but after what happened last night I’m extremely embarrassed. I’m glad Vince walked in when he did, as much as I wanted it I know it shouldn’t happen and what did happen can never happen again, he’s my boss for goodness sake.

I  step out of the elevator on my floor, coffees in hand and I’m immediately greeted by Suzy as I have been every morning.

“Good morning Suzy, how are you today?”

“Cait, hi, good morning, great thanks and getting better by the minute” she replies cheerfully, she looks happy this morning, excited even and she seems to be glowing, wow ok I’m glad her morning is better than mine.

“Mind sharing your good morning?” I ask smiling brightly at her, her good mood seems to be contagious.

“One, the boss isn’t coming in today, two, my boyfriend proposed last night and the third, how about I tell you over lunch?”

“Oh my, congratulations Suzy, he’s one lucky man, did Mr Callahan say why he wouldn’t be In today?”

“Thank you and no just asked me to cancel all of his meetings and for you to re-schedule them for next week”.

“Okay will do, here, might as well have his coffee so it doesn’t go to waste then and give me a call or something when you’re ready for lunch”.

“Thanks Cait, see you later, I’m here if you need anything”.

I hand her the coffee and make my way towards my office wondering what the reason could be as to why Xavier isn’t in today and why he didn’t call me directly about the appointments being re-scheduled. He seemed fine last night when he left my apartment, his usual arrogant self.

Walking into Xavier’s office I switch the lights on and move towards his desk to collect the files he always leaves out the night before, I collect them and head into my own office switching the lights on and rounding my desk, I boot up my computer and put my bag in the drawer before sitting down and pulling up Xavier’s schedule on the computer so I can get names of people he is meant to be meeting to ring them and re-arrange.

After spending the morning re-arranging meeting, taking phone calls and replying to numerous e-mails I’m exhausted and welcome the call from Suzy te tell me she’s ready to go to lunch.

I shut down my computer and collect my bag from the drawer before heading to reception to meet Suzy.

“Hey Suzy, where we going, anywhere in mind?”

“Hey, how about Starbucks, we can grab a bite to eat and talk over coffee, I need to tell someone my news, I can’t keep it in much longer” she replies bouncing on the balls of her feet with excitement.