Chapter Forty - Hopeful Slaughter

This is what stopped me, would you believe it took me four months to figure out how to write this 30-day gap? O.O  Vote :)

Lilly’s excitement to be able to taste so much blood and fill up her pleasure sensors so many times a day had her ecstatic the first day of her world-ending career.  Adrenaline pumping Lilly city-hopped every few minutes causing chaos at every turn.  She didn’t care who saw her, where she appeared, or who got attack—just that it happened.  And it happened so fast over and over most people never even knew what hit them.  She’d simply appear somewhere in a populated city go smoke-crazy with poisoned fangs and after half a dozen or so people dropped dead she’d be gone, leaving all the shocked bystanders with new problems.

There was really no need for the cloak-and-dagger style she went through with Sean, since there was nothing to hide—no Sean to keep out of sight and mind.  She also didn’t see the need to fully materialize to absorb her surroundings; instead she used her body-splitting technique first tested to crash the president of Russia’s plane.  From the point of view of those being attacked a black cloud of smoke would appear, sharp glistening objects would whip around the air at random and people would start bleeding.  Then the smoke was gone, no one ever getting a clear view of what it actually was.  But it wasn’t long before the bleeding bodies began standing up again, transformed, and started eating everyone that was stupid enough to hang around.

She crashed through a hundred cities that first day all much in the same manor—smoke, flying fangs, death.  Her body never fully materialized when she was in the cities—only the parts she needed to be out of the smoke ever appeared—this was safer for her, guns were useless—who was going to hit four teeth whizzing around a mall, or restaurant, or courtyard, or theater, or wherever else she happened to be?  No one was that good to hit a moving target the size and speed of a fly.  Death just happened she was gone.  An unstoppable force.

But there was a downside to this half-materialized form she took favor to.  It was impossible to see, she only knew to put her body parts in a public area and taste the blood as her fangs made contact.  But beyond that it was extremely exhausting.  She had concentrate on moving her four fangs around randomly while remembering to jump before she even appeared—keeping the rest of her body out of existence.  At the same time she had to remember to keep her fangs in existence.

Oh and there was one more thing, the brain freeze.  The problem she had when she was first developing her abilities, when she was still in contact with that strange boy Pop before he decided she was no longer of any use to her and stopped showing up.  Her mind had adapted to jumping ten, twenty, a hundred times in quick succession, but it still wasn’t able to sustain her invisibility for long.  She was connecting with anywhere between two-four jumps per second just to keep herself in the existence between jumps—wherever that was.  This meant anywhere up to a hundred jumps during a thirty-second attack on some congregation of sorts. 

She was only able to attack maybe three or four cities tops in a row before her mind required some substantial rest and recovery.  She tried to push it any further and she’d lose consciousness—even fear of never waking back up—she’d literally freeze her brain and die right there, and she couldn’t have that.  Two cities then a break—that was her plan and she stuck to it.  There was no way she’d go for an alternative—fully materializing—too dangerous and too much of a hassle, rest time in some secluded place was so much better than risking bodily harm every time she appeared in a city.

Days passed in much of the same manor—but after learning her restrictions from the first day at a much slower pace, twenty maybe thirty cities a day attacking two cities and relaxing for twenty to thirty minutes each time—a hundred a day was just too much for her—at least for now.  After a week of non-stop attacks Lilly started getting braver with her half-hour breaks.  Sean would often appear to keep her company and when he wasn’t there she’d run into people, humans on the run, to take her breaks with.