Chapter Thirty-Nine - The Doom Bringer

So this was meant to be part of the previous chapter (why it's so short) I realized I needed a lead into to the next chapter (which is longer)  Vote :)

There was radio silence for the next three days, actually Lilly had no idea how she would be contacted, just that she would—eventually.  For the three days of no instructions Lilly kept to her hotel room, ignoring the fact that utter chaos was happening outside.  It was no longer uncommon to hear gunfire in the night—to smell the smoke of fires that burned on the surface below.  Sometimes she’d hear a scream or a plea for help on the other side of the door to her suite.  But none of that was her concern.  Sure she started this chaos—but she’s not some savior.

At the end of the third day there was no gunfire, no screams, the entire city was silent.  Instead platoons of soldiers marched down the streets, but they didn’t wave around the American flag, no, it was the dark green symbol of Falu, the Free American Lucarian Union.  It wasn’t hard to discover after seeing the flag that the rebels actually won the war and the remainder of the USA laid down guns for an unconditional surrender. 

Lilly knew when she went through New Orleans and Portland spreading her monstrosities she conveniently laid waste very close to the two largest USA strongholds left after the initial outbreak of internal war.  This was no doubt the reason why US forces surrendered and ceded into Falu, a plea for help to save its people from sure-set death.

With the threat of a trail of US sympathizers fleeing to Canada from the affected areas, thus leading the Ghouls directly into Canada and the threat of an inevitable war Canadian officials choose to follow the remainder of the US in ceding into Falu as an independent state—this was mostly to say to the sympathizers that Canadian soil will be no asylum for them.   

With most all of North America under one flag and infighting finally coming to an end Lilly finally got her call to duty.  The phone, the phone she stole from Lucas—of course it would have to be that.  How Hector knew about it, or how he got the number she had no clue—but none-the-less the phone rang. Lilly picked it up, thinking it Lucas again since no one else had the number to find an entirely different voice, “Hello my little monster.  We’re ready for you.”

Lilly didn’t speak, she just listened, “Okay now we want one simple goal—one simple task.  End the world.”

“What?” Lilly raised her voice as she peaked outside at the marching soldiers on the street below.

“End it, I want five of your ghouls in every city on this damn planet.  I want them to tear humanity apart to run it extinct and when the fires burn out and there’s no one left to kill I want you to rally up your little monsters and get rid of them.  Then, then we can have our perfect world to ourselves.  Then we can come back into the ashes and bring forth utopia.  This world is broken and I want you to fix it, I want you to end it so we can renew from the ashes.  Got it?”

“Yes.”  She was grinding her teeth to not say more, in every city?  Does he not understand just how big this world is?  Exhausting, it’s going to be exhausting.  And now she’s going to be the doom bringer—who would have thought an innocent small-city girl from the American west coast would be the one to end humanity. 

“Five ghouls, each city.” He said and the phone went dead.  Lilly looked at her closet where she kept all her battle gear—this is going to be rough.  At least this time she got to choose where she went, she can give America that extra few days to realize what’s happening now and build against it.  She knew she couldn’t save her country—Hector would certainly find out—but she could at least give it a few days before she starts planting her ghouls in its cities.

Tomorrow she’d start the end of the world, tomorrow.  Sin then appeared in the room and without hesitation started talking, “I’m sorry Mistress.”

“Oh I know such a horrible thing I have to do—what have I done Sean?  What have we done?”

She turned away from the window—all those soldiers proud now that they conquered North America wouldn’t be proud for long.  She’s going to end up killing them, all of them.  “No Mistress, it’s the organization, Hector—I can’t find them, any of them.  They’re gone, I can’t do my job.  I’m sorry Mistress.”

Lilly looked down at the phone in her hand and squeezed it tightly before setting it down on the table near the window and moving over to the couch.  She sat down and Sin followed—causing her body to sink into his.  As she fell over her head went against his chest and Sin put his arms over her shoulders.  “It’s alright Sean, we tried…” she mumbled.

“I can help you, just like last time—we can be together.  It’ll be fun.”

She looked up into his eyes, “No, no we can’t.  I’m not dragging you into ending the world with me.  Only I should carry that weight.  Watch over me, be my guardian, protect me.  But don’t dirty your hands as I have mine.”

Sin, running his hands through her hair, acknowledged her with a nod and leaned back into to sofa to let her comfort herself while she still can.  Tomorrow the end of the world starts.  And Sin did have one thing right—even if the idea was horrible.  What she was going to do her mouth was watering for it.  Sin was right.  It was going to be fun.  So much blood so much pleasure—she just hoped her mind wouldn’t explode from the excitement.