[̲̅V][̲̅i][̲̅d][̲̅e][̲̅o] [̲̅S][̲̅u][̲̅b][̲̅m][̲̅i][̲̅s][̲̅s][̲̅i][̲̅o][̲̅n]

So UChicago deferred my application. I'm content with this. I think my application needs more personality. My essay was about my opinion on body image in America. At first it was more of my view and how I handle things, but after editing my essay I changed my language. It turned into social commentary so now what my application might have been lacking is personality. I think they want to see more of who I am. 

This isn't a bad problem to have. I plan on making a video profile for my application to fill out my profile. I have a great personality, I'm confident, honest, self-aware. 

My Video

//Sitting at my desk I look into the camera.

"Hi, I'm Katherine, and this is my room."

"When I'm not at school, or work, or with friends, I'm here in my room. I could honestly stay in here forever. I could be binge-watching tv shows or movies, writing, reading, listening to music, and my favorite sleeping. The lighting is pretty dark: I've never liked overhead lighting, it makes the room look gross and unauthentic in my opinion. I have a string of lights on my wall to give my room that aesthetic layback vibe. 

I talk a lot about my room because it's the most meaningful possession to me. As I've moved from house to house I've kept the same bed, furniture, and the same vibes where lights are dim, a candle is burning, and one million blankets are always on the bed. My room has been the only physical constant in my life. People come and go, possessions get lost and stolen, but my room is this constant that I always have and can control. I can always come back to it."

"I used to get frustrated about the material things I've lost or have been stolen from me but then I found that I should be putting more value on people and memories. It's my constant moving from place to place over the last couple of years that triggered my writing phase. I love writing songs and poetry most recently fictional and non-fiction stories. They are extremely personal to me so I've added my deepest works in my application. I hope it helps fill in any blanks about me."

The decade is ending and I'm happy about the person who is coming out the other end. I used to be selfish, insecure, timid but in the last ten years, I've grown day by day. I was reading my journal from 2011, (since I lost my journal from 2010, would've been nice to have it.) But Back to 2011, First off, I have the worst handwriting, second, I was in third grade. so don't expect details. (LOL) Anyway, I wrote down events like "Today I woke up, got dressed in a red dress for church. After church, I went to Panera with my aunt. I got a chocolate bagel. I got butter. My aunt just had coffee and bought some for my godmother. My mom just came and I'm happy. Mom has to go pick up my grandmother, I wish we left her. This sounds mean, but my grandma had dementia and she was scary to be around. My younger self did not want to be around her. Can't wait to see my friends Aschley and Gabriel, I have their phone numbers." They were my future step-sisters. Their dad and my mom got married in 2014, but got divorced my freshman year or high school.  

Now, that I'm older my writing sounds much different. I write less about what's physically happening and more about what's mentally happening. I've grown to put depth  and meaning to metaphysical and less about physical things, like in my choice for deciding what school I want to go to.

Choosing UChicago was more than just choosing a big school with a beautiful campus in a magnificent city. I chose it because of the deeper things. I want a school that's going dive into the things I can't see. Sociology is the field I want to go into because there aren't many physical things you can look at to study it. You have to go beyond that and study things that can't be seen only felt. Thank you for your time and have a great evening. 

(The video is only two minutes so now I gotta start taking stuff out.)